mem 2000 new shower circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i have a mem 2000 consumer unit which i would like to install a shower circuit to. I think it is a split board because it has a 100a 30ma breaker in the middle with 4 breakers to the left marked shed , kitchen , dish washer and sockets. To the right there is another 5 breakers with a spare space -cooker water heater, lights, washing machine and one which is 100ma. Do i need to fit an rcd to the shower circuit ? would it be ok to fit it in the spare space on the right hand side ?

Sponsored Links
You do need RCD protection for a shower circuit, do you know which said split is RCD protected, I would suggest using a 45a RCBO on the non protected side but not sure there is one for the mem 2000 board.

Im not sure which side is protected. would it be ok then to fit a rcbo in the spare space to protect the circuit ? and would this have to be an mem rcbo or is there other generic types available . thanks

What spec is the shower? output/voltage and do the manufacturers instruction recommend a breaker sizes?
easiest way to determine rcd protected side is press test button and see which circuits trip. Then reset for return of power.

Sponsored Links
Its going to be 9kw . If the board is rcd protected do i still need an rcbo or will a normal breaker do?

If installed on the RCD side a MCB can be used.
You need at least 40Amps the cable size will depend on the run and route taken if not grouped with other circuits and not run through thermal insulation, you could get away with 6mm twin and earth, if clipped direct.
But best if 10mm is installed for later upgrades for higher powered showers.
I do recommend a competent electrician is used to carry this work out.

Thanks , will check which side spare space is on and fit rbco / mcb as reqired

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back