Dormer Roof Insullation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi People,

This might be a but hard to explain so bare with me....

I have a 1968 chalet dormer house. The upstairs dormers come out on a flat roof from the loft space remaining.
i have the usual problems, in the winter the house is freezing and baking hot in the summer! (isullation problems)
I have insulallted my loft and had cavity wall(for all the good that does me in a chaltet house)
Further inspection in my loft I notice that I have access to the dormer flat roof from the loft. Its only a small gap, but I can clearly see there is no insualtlion in there. This perhaps could be a big problem....
is it possible i can just get some more loft insullation and just try to cram it into the dormer roof through thr small gap in the loft?

I hope that makes sense? I guess i could try to draw the problem if needed
any advice would be greatful
Thanks

Sponsored Links
you could try sliding some celotex or similar along the top of the ceiling but this is a very hit and miss operation.you need a 50mm airgap above the insualtion.not sure how you would know if youve done a complete job tho.

I was going to get some standard loft insulaltion and push it into the roof space.............

ad present in all my uptairs dormer roofs I have the plaster board ceiling, this gap and the the chipbaord felt roof. I would imagine this is a major problem for my heat loss? what do you think?

I would hope the external walls for the dormers are insuallted, but i have no way of finding out unless i cut into them

Thanks

you will struggle to maintain an air flow with quilt type insulation.
can you take a socket plate off and look through there for insulation in the walls???.
if you electrocute yourself takin git off can you at least video it :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Sorry for sounding dumb, but why is there a need for ventilation in there?

I believe you can get some loose insulation, would that work? Not sure boarding would due to the location

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back