Correct sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have got an 20 year old corrugated concrete garage roof that is basically sound but leaking a bit on the overlap joints and fixing holes.

Have just tried some of the Evostick Roof and Gutter Repair sealer from a fresh tube but it simply does not take.
Have first tried it on the underside which is cleaner and drier but it really was useless.
Tried some low mod silicone as well but even that does not take well.

Can anyone please suggest what is the best stuff to use and readily available, that will take to surfaces that are not 100% clean as its impossible to thoughly clean and dry most areas I'm trying to seal.

thanks

Sponsored Links
just out of interest , are they asbestos cement sheets?

Hi,

They were purchased new from a large roofing / builders merchant in 1980 and was told they were then all concrete fibre.

its the cement powdery then?
i am afraid i cannot comment on a good sealant but i did use some once that was black and in a tube , i think it was bitumen based , it stuck to everything and anything.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

No the panels are not powdery or flaky - the sealer will adhere if pressed firmly to a dry area but anything else, and it does not really hold, apart from my fingers which are covered in the stuff !
Its the crevices I'm trying to seal, many with tight access on top of the joists.

Hi Astartes

Thanks for that link - thats a new product on me - it sure sounds good, but not cheap either at about £10 a tube - but if it does the job its well worth it.

Seems to be several outlets on Ebay although will try local roof/building merchants first.

Found this interesting ytube on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ8FlcWNw3g&NR=1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back