Replacing Wooden Corner Fence Post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A corner post needs to be replaced (in the picture this is the middle post) to complete a run of closeboard fencing.

I think my options are

a) to finish fencing 15" or so either side so avoiding area altogether but requiring 2 posts rather than 1

b) remove all 3 posts( with neighbours permission the post on the right is the neighbours post) and fit new post

c) remove middle and left post and fix new post in the centre, adjacent to neighbours post.

i think option c) might be the best but am not sure if post will be secure this way. Please can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Looks a bit messy, the way it is at the moment you can't replace one without disturbing the others. Get a big old 6x6 post or 8ft sleeper (share the cost with the neighbour and replace all three at once. A big chunky one will outlive several fence repairs either side so you won't have to keep faffing about. Alternatively just use a normal 4x4 and offer to replace the neighbours first panel ( + gravelboard) That way if they have to replace the rest of theirs while yours still has plenty of life in it, you know the post won't be disturbed at all.

Hi Deluks, i am not sure if this was clear, but the post on the left is coming down anyway to start a new line of closeboard fencing, so will have to be taken out,along with the middle. Not sure if this would change your suggestion.

If, as you suggest, to fit a single 4x4(replacing all 3), and offer to fit new panel for neighbour, just concerned about size of new panel to fill 4" gap, can you buy panels of various lengths or would i need to buy a larger one and then trim to fit into gap.

Cheers,

Panels are a standard size, so using a larger size post to fill the gap would make more sense than a 4x4. Or fix a bit of timber to the side to make up the gap, still messy but you have to find a workable 'fudge' in this sort of situation. Just do the best you can so that your fence and the shared post remain undisturbed if they ever come do do theirs.

Sponsored Links
we would take the old one down and break through the concrete to get the new one in. that way it can be btted right up against the neighbouring ones and wouldnt disturb them. WHat type of fencing are you putting up as you refer to closeboard then mention panels?

Hi Thermo,
i am erecting closeboard, but the neighbours fence, as in the picture to the right, is panel fencing, including the far right post.

Just to clarify, are you saying that you would leave the neighbours post untoched (the post furthermost to the right of 3 posts) and place new post up close as possible. i have a 3m post so would probably be going a bit deeper than the neighbours post, filling post hole with concrete on 3 sides...

Thanks

yes i would, we avoid touching anyone elses fence if possible. If your putting up standard closebaord why a 3m post?

Thanks.

Not sure what i'll do, but will wait and see what's uncovered, might speak to neighbour if their post is looking insecure and replace with single post and do as Deluks said re filling in with timber on either side of panel fence,

6ft f/e with 6" gravel board.

the longer post gives a bit more flexibility, previous experience of removing corner posts means that usually large crater is left after removing post/concrete, so prefer to dig a bit deeper and concrete to around 12" below ground level.

you need to be 1/3 below ground level with that heihjt fence so you should be looking at 24" deep. a 2.4m post will be fine and save you cutting the top and paying for what you dont use

Thanks.

Not sure what i'll do, but will wait and see what's uncovered, might speak to neighbour if their post is looking insecure and replace with single post and do as Deluks said re filling in with timber on either side of panel fence,

6ft f/e with 6" gravel board.

the longer post gives a bit more flexibility, previous experience of removing corner posts means that usually large crater is left after removing post/concrete, so prefer to dig a bit deeper and concrete to around 12" below ground level.

good idea

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back