DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Wireing a waterproof outside double plug socket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Electrics Outside of the UK
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
irishturf12

from Ireland

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote

Hi

iam just wondering is it possible to wire a outside double plug socket on this fuse box directly from a trip switch Fuse box
Fuse box
Trips bottom
Trips bottom
Trips top
Trips top
or can i come off an existing one inside. Also what type of wire should be used for the outside socket. Outside three core flex/three core hard wire/or outside heavy hard plastic coted wire. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
bongos

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote

irishturf12 wrote:
iam just wondering is it possible to wire a outside double plug socket on this fuse box directly from a trip switch or can i come off an existing one inside.

I think you mean can you add a new MCB and supply a socket direct from that?

If so, then yes you can. You would use 2.5mm t+e for the internal run and then a suitably rated outdoor cable for the outdoor section. This would be on a 16 or 20A MCB. An outdoor socket like this.

You could also spur one socket from an existing socket on a ring if required.

irishturf12 wrote:
Also what type of wire should be used for the outside socket. Outside three core flex/three core hard wire/or outside heavy hard plastic coted wire.

If the wiring is going to be exposed but above ground level you could use 2.5mm˛ hituf.

Make sure you use Merlin Gerin MCB's - the same as you already have in your CU. While you're at it, swap that right hand MCB from the top row with a suitably rated Merlin Gerin one. It looks like whoever fitted the existing one cut the CU cover to make it fit. icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif

You'll probably find you need a new cover too as a result of their exceedingly crap workmanship.
 Alert Moderators
irishturf12

from Ireland

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote

icon_biggrin.gif Thats great thanks for your help so if i use the 2.5mm 3 core Hituf Cable can i run this type of cable directly from a MCB. Also can i do the same for a light in the shed and run it of the same MCB. Because i need a light badly in the shed also would it be ok to run the cable across roof to roof so it droops slightly or does it have to be fixed to a wall. icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif
 Alert Moderators
bongos

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote

irishturf12 wrote:
if i use the 2.5mm 3 core Hituf Cable can i run this type of cable directly from a MCB.

Yes. Although if you have a long run it may be cheaper to run the internal cabling in 2.5mm˛ t+e then connect the hituf to this using a junction box. Assuming the Irish regs are still similar to the UK then this should remain accessible if you take this route.

irishturf12 wrote:
Also can i do the same for a light in the shed and run it of the same MCB.

You can run a light from the same MCB. You would take the cable into the socket and could then run a spur from this. It must be fused down if you will be supplying a lighting circuit from your socket circuit. You will require a FCU. You would run 2.5mm˛ cable to this FCU and then insert a 3A fuse and continue to the light in 1.5mm˛.

Or the below FCU if it is going to be exposed.

irishturf12 wrote:
Because i need a light badly in the shed also would it be ok to run the cable across roof to roof so it droops slightly or does it have to be fixed to a wall. icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

The cable must be fixed to the walls. If needing to run underground then you should really use SWA cable.

This requires extra care and materials when terminating and will probably be difficult to work with for the first time - although never worked with it myself. icon_redface.gif

Another option is the use of catenary wire and fittings if you need to run the cable building to building but it must not be "drooped" between roofs under any circumstances.
 Alert Moderators
irishturf12

from Ireland

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote

Thats great thanks for all the help i will hopefully get the job done tommorow if the rain keeps off
 Alert Moderators
bongos

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote

irishturf12 wrote:
Thats great thanks for all the help

No probs... icon_smile.gif
 Alert Moderators
irishturf12

from Ireland

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:30 pm Reply with quote

Hi iam back again just want to pick your brain again i have wired up the socket. And fed the wire in how do i get power to the mcb. Do i loop a live wire from another MCB does it matter which one. And do i loop from the bottom and then out from the top to go to the socket. I know how to wire the earth and neutral. Another thing does it matter were the neural wire goes on the neutral blocks. There are two in the box

Thanks
 Alert Moderators
bongos

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote

I'm a little confused by your description! The MCB clips onto the dinrail. Once its clipped on the live feed is directly from the busbar into the MCB. You should not need to loop anything or add any wiring - the live feed to the socket is the only cable entering the MCB.

The neutral/earth should be terminated in the correct numbered terminal for that circuit. The neutral has to go to the correct block or the RCD will trip!

Maybe a pic of the inside of the CU might help.
 Alert Moderators
irishturf12

from Ireland

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote

Yeh i see what you mean mine definatly has a live din rail. Mybe the chap in the shop thought it was a older type were you had loop the lives instead. Anyway thanks for your help again.
 Alert Moderators
winston1

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote

I don't think 13A type sockets are allowed outside in Ireland. You have to use the 16A blue ceeform type.
 Alert Moderators
bongos

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:55 pm Reply with quote

bongos wrote:
Assuming the Irish regs are still similar to the UK then...

That's why I wrote this. I'm not really up on Irish regs personally. icon_lol.gif
 Alert Moderators
solair

from Ireland

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:43 am Reply with quote

winston1 wrote:
I don't think 13A type sockets are allowed outside in Ireland. You have to use the 16A blue ceeform type.

That's actually the case, although there are plenty of water-proof BS1363 sockets installed outdoors in DIY installations, they do not really meet the requirements of the Irish wiring rules.

ALL sockets in Ireland must be protected by a 30mA RCD too, this has been a requirement since 1980.

In an older installation which does not have an RCD, all new socket installations should be protected by an RCD, and it's an absolute requirement that any outdoor sockets / garage sockets should be RCD protected regardless of the age of the installation.
 Alert Moderators
aptsys

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:45 am Reply with quote

I would have thought most electrical suppliers would stock something, though I don't know about suppliers in your country.

http://www.thomasnet.com/missouri/electrical-supplies-25340803-1.html
 Alert Moderators
Monkeh

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote

SunniSlingland wrote:
Where can we get these water proof sockets? I've tried halfords and wicks.

Wickes most definitely keep them.
The following user says thank you to Monkeh for this useful post:
Astra99 (1 Feb 2011)
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Electrics Outside of the UK All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: