Upgrading Existing Doors because of Loft Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our loft conversion is coming on and so the attention has turned to replacing the egg box doors we have currently.

For the 2 new rooms in the loft the builder is installing FD30 rated doors (44mm, intumescent strips etc). For the doors on the middle and lower floor though he has given me a choice :

Go with the same type of engineered fire door, or replace current egg box doors with solid timber doors which he says will give FD20 rating. The plans only specify FD20 at the lower levels, and FD30 only in the loft.

The advantages of going with the solid timber doors is less disruption to the existing door frames, as the jambs etc shouldn't need to be ripped off.

However I don't want to go with this if (a) it'll fall foul of BI later on and (b) more importantly it is a major compromise to my families safety.

In the back of my mind is the thought that currently we don't go round shutting all the doors anyway all the time.

Any advice greatly apppreciated!

Sponsored Links
If the plans have been approved with FD20s then whats the problem? I've done loft conversions and used FD20s for the loft level too. As you say you'll probably end up leaving them open or ajar anyway (like most of us). If you are in any doubt contact the inspector dealing with your job and he can reassure you.

No problem just a born worrier so trying to double check / second guess myself on everything. It makes sense to me but without stumbling across a definitive answer on the web (FD20 almost seems a deprecated standard?) I thought I'd check.

Thanks for that - so in essence they shoould be OK - I may well ring BI tomorrow also.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back