Sterling 40 oil burner lockout - how do I check for ignition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our sterling 40 oil burner has been working fine, and was serviced a few weeks ago. Today it is displaying the lockout light, and on pressing the reset button you can hear the solenoid opening, and oil appears to be reaching the nozzle but there is no ignition. Is there a way to check whether or not there is an ignition spark being formed?

Sponsored Links
You should be able to hear a slight buzzing of the ignition spark, the problem could be the spark gap and electrode setting, the electrode tip should be about 3-4mm behind the tip of the nozzle, the electrodes should not foul the flame diffuser (brake plate). make sure the ignition HT leads are securely fixed at each end

have a good look at the EBI Ignition transformer if there are "Bubbles in the casing, a transformer is required ;)

Would disconnecting the solenoid valve enable me to run the boiler with the burner removed and see if there's a spark at the electrodes?

Would disconnecting the solenoid valve enable me to run the boiler with the burner removed and see if there's a spark at the electrodes?

You should be able to unplug the coil and stop the solenoid opening, but best to be safe and point tube away from you and use a small mirror to look at spark.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for the advice, I'll have another look at it in the morning...

I met its creator, Pete sorry forgot his surname.

possibley the nicest compact burner ever designed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back