Drilling porcelain tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any suggestions. Tried all the usual and spent a fortune on special drills.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Porcelain said:
Any suggestions. Tried all the usual and spent a fortune on special drills.

Cheers

Use a patch of gaffer tape or similar heavy fabric type tape on the tile where you wish to drill, slow speed and then hammer setting.

derekay Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:11 am Post Subject: Re: Drilling porcelain tiles
Use a patch of gaffer tape or similar heavy fabric type tape on the tile where you wish to drill, slow speed and then hammer setting.
You might as well use a club hammer then :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I thought the original post was for porcelain tiles which do not have a glazed surface.

Ceramic = Glazed surface = PITT Drill guide.

Porcelain. The kit I use is called Armeg. £300 for the drill bits though. The other option is lots of drill bits.

Ty :D

Sorry and I know this is a shameless plug, but I actually sell the solution to your problem.

My name is Richard Hazell, I am based in hertfordshire and I run a website called 365drills.com

Basically I produced a method and apparatus to help solve this problem. Its a guide plate which is combined with diamond drills.

The solution is very inexpensive and will save you many hundreds of pounds. As you suggest in your message the only other solution are full blown diamond drilling rigs costing hundreds.

I am sorry if I have broken any rules on the site about self promotion but I am honestly addressing a serious query with a solution.

Because we are so new. (less than 6 months) you will never have heard of us and our solution. But you can be sure we are going to be breaking down the doors of such retailers as B&Q, homebase, ToppsTiles, Screwfix direct to try and get them to accept the system.

If anyone in admin wants to remove this post then of course feel free - and i can be contacted direct at [email protected]

Reason I say this, is that we have posted similar on fish tank forums. Yes there is a demand to drill holes in glass fish tanks! And the administrators of the fish tank sites have allowed our post to remain because we supply a real solution to their need. But some wanted a bit more info first.

Thanks. Richard.
http://www.365drills.com

this is an advert ..lol

but your spot on with your bits though ..:) ;)

You could also try squirting the end of your drill bit with water to cool it down. Be careful not to get any in your drill though!!

SB

sparkybird

lol water an powertools .. you mean cutter oils in a can ....
OR
tallow ..lol for the old tiler /plumber out there ..lol ;) ;)

Yes it is us dollars, I bought the 12pc set towards the bottom of the page and including the faster of the two shipping options it cost me £20.90 GBP.

Use them in a cordless drill for safety and they don't want to go too fast, lubricate with water from a small spray bottle. They give a very neat finish where radiator pipes come up through the tiles, best to remove valve & olives to get a nice tight fit. use smaller ones for fixing WC pans

Jason

That's a bargain. I'll order some.

joe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back