Opinions please on my bodged roof!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please could I have your opinions of whether I need to change my pitched roof to a flat roof.

The roof on my house extention leaks so I am going to get some roofers to quote for repair, or to change to a flat roof. It leaks around the corners of the upstairs bay window, and drips into my livingroom below.

Ive included some photos, and below is a list of things which I guess need addressing

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/1.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/3.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/2.jpg

1) The pitched roof doesnt look to be of a steep enough angle, but I cant get it made steeper because of the bay window.

2) The lead flashing has been laid ontop of the window cill !!!!

3) The tiles are not staggered.

4) The bay window need replacing completely.

No doubt the leak could be caused by the poor condition of the bay window, but im sure the roof needs something doing to it also. Should I change it to a flat roof, before replacing the bay window?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
A pitch roof is better than flat roof, the lead flashing just needs re-doing and tidying up then best to run a lead sealant under the lead flashing to stop the wind blowing the rain under the flashing because of the low pitch.

the flashing is poor. tiles not cut unde window. the window is rubbish and should be replaced at which time the flashing/tray an be inserted and the window sat on this.. basic stuff really. dont expect the window fitters to do this get a good roofer/lead worker o fabricate everything while the window is out.
the tiles dont HAVE to be staggered (broken bonded)

Thanks for the replies.

Do you think the angle of the pitch looks ok? I was wondering if the pitched roof meets the house wall higher than it should, hence why the flashing is above the window cill. Im concerned that water runs off the lead, straight onto the window cill.

I guess it would be better if it met the wall a little lower down. But that would reduce the pitch of the roof even more, perhaps requiring a flat roof instead (££££).

If it looks ok as it is, then I will simply do as advised and replace the lead flashing along with the window.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you know the pitch angle? If not, measure the side width and the height like a triangle then I can work it out for you

pitch.gif

It is a very flat pitch..I would guess 10 degrees ish. The plus side it appears the tiles have had the gauge reduced..
next time it rains alot an is windy, push a couple of tiles up and see if the batten is damp.. if so then it leaks, if not then great...

Is that supposed to be a legit extension :eek: It’s been a while since I checked the relevant BR’s but that's nowhere near steep enough; I thought the minimum pitch for a tiled roof was 18 degrees-ish, or was it 22 :confused: ; you ned to check the relevant BR's yourself! As you’ve found, the water is going to drive under there whenever the wind blows the wrong way unless you go "Spanish" & cement the buggers in place but I’m not sure UK BR’s allow that anyway!

I wouldn’t disagree with your other comments either, did you buy it like that or are you proposing to try & to sell it?

Am not sure that the manufacturers of the tiles would ever guarantee their product to be effective at such a small pitch.

masona, I will take some measurements soon, thanks.

I bought the house two years ago and I intend to stay here, so I am wanting to sort out the extention roof and replace the bay window.

The previous owner did a good job of hiding the evidence of a leak by re-wallpapering the living room ceiling to hide the stains. Within a couple of months of moving in, I noticed water dripping into the living room :(

I'd rather keep the roof pitched if I can, but if not I will have to have it made into a flat roof.

I guess it cant be made steeper because of the bay window above. I really hate how the lead flashing lips over the window cill. Would you agree this seems a bodged way of doing it??

I will obviosusly need to get a decent roofer to come and have a look

Technically a roof becomes a 'flat roof' once it reaches 10deg and below. Tiles should never be used on such a low pitched roof. Unless you are prepared to lift the cill of the window you just need a decent leadworker who can do a welded flashing obviously at the same time you change the window. As mentioned you may well have problems during heavy winds and rain. If so the best thing to do would be to replace the tiles with GRP or similar.

you can actually raise the height of the roof,increasing the pitch but you would have 2 "flat" areas in front of both windows.not sure how people do the sketches/drawings on here so cant show you in more detail,sorry.perhaps one of the more techy guys will draw what i mean.

Did you have a survey carried out before you bought the property? If so I’m surprised it wasn’t picked up then. It can all be sorted out but I think you should consider checking with your local council if the extension is actually authorised; when was it built? It may not have needed Planning Permission but it still needs to comply with Building Regulations & I can’t imagine that would have passed any sort of BI inspection. The tiles may have replaced an original felt roof but you could find the extension is unauthorised.

If that’s the case, it would be best to talk to your LABC & get it regularised as a part of the remedial works if you can as whatever you replace it with must comply with BR’s or you could have problems when you eventually come to sell up. Unauthorised & non compliant building work is being picked up much more frequently now at point of sale & it could bring an immediate halt to proceedings while you have sort it all out.

Ive now learnt from the neighbours that the extention previously had a flat roof, but was pitched over as it leaked! And the flat roof is still there underneath!!

freddy, Ive considered GRP but despite it appearing to be a good product, Ive yet to find of any feedback from anyone who's had it done. Surely it must be a well used product?

Chukka63, an interesting idea, thanks.

Richard C, I had a family member carry out the survey who picked up on the roofing issue. But I still decided to buy the property but at a lower price to compensate. I have no idea when it was built. Am I right in thinking that if it was built over 10 years ago then it is now immune from planning regs?

If I contact the planning dept then could that possibly cause me further headaches?

freddy, Ive considered GRP but despite it appearing to be a good product, Ive yet to find of any feedback from anyone who's had it done. Surely it must be a well used product?

Chukka63, an interesting idea, thanks.

GRP is fairly popular and there are plenty of threads on here describing its installation and pros and cons. Like most flat roof finishes be it felt or otherwise they all last well provided they are installed correctly which is the key to longetivity. Chucka63's idea is fairly common and simple although it would involve regrading the rafters etc. To just refinish with the right material would be considerably cheaper of course.

Ive considered GRP but despite it appearing to be a good product, Ive yet to find of any feedback from anyone who's had it done. Surely it must be a well used product?
A friend of mine had one put on a veranda which also comprised the flat roof of a bay window below; worked very well for some years before he sold the property.

Am I right in thinking that if it was built over 10 years ago then it is now immune from planning regs?
LABC may not be able to issue an enforcement notice but there is no such thing as being immune from BR’s; if there is a problem, it won’t just go away! You will also be undertaking renovation works & those will come under current BR’s; here are some brief extracts from BR requirements & that dormer window will also be affected.

Renovation of thermal elements
If you are replacing or renovating more than 25% of the surface area of a wall, floor or roof of a building a Building Regulation application may be required if there is an insufficient level of insulation within your existing house.
Further information can be obtained by viewing the appropriate Approved Document (this page opens in a new window) Approved Document Part L1B Conservation of fuel and power in existing dwellings or Approved Document Part L2B Conservation of fuel and power in existing buildings other than dwellings .

Replacement of roof coverings
If a roof covering is replaced with a heavier material for example, replacing slates with concrete tiles and the loadings are increased by more than 15% a Building Regulation application will be required.
If the new roof covering is significantly lighter than the existing roof covering a Building Regulation application may still be required. Please contact us for further information.
• Please note that the replacement of roof coverings may also trigger requirements under renovation of thermal elements.
If I contact the planning dept then could that possibly cause me further headaches?
Better to have a relatively small headache now than migraine just as your about to sign contracts for a future sale; IMO!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back