citroen xantia almost on fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. my citroen xantia has recently been misfiring, i drove it about 30 miles today, when I stopped there was loads of smoke coming from underneath. when I looked underneath the centre section of the exhaust was glowing red hot . I tried to start it later but it sounded really rough so I left it . Any Ideas anyone? any help appreciated
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Petrol engine? I suspect that your car has developed a misfire due to a faulty coil pack. This has allowed unburnt fuel to pass into the catalytic converter, which has overheated to a large extent, trying to cope with all of this fuel.
When all cool, start the car up and see if its misfiring. The engine will bounce around a bit if it is.
John :)

if it's insured, do yourself a favour and let it burn :LOL:

Think John is on the right lines, either overfuelling or someones been using lead replacement petrol in it

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies Fellas. I feel a trip to the scrappies coming, I had considered helping it burn but I don't think it'll be cost effective. Cheers

it's true lead destroys cats but only chemically - not physically.

The lead coats the platinum/vanadium and prevents it reating with the exhaust gases. The engine continues to run well ( I believe ) but your emissions soar and you fail your next MOT.

AFAIK, LRP was developed to protect vave-seats in older engines that were previously lubricated with the lead component and would have burnt out relatively quicky without something to repace the PbO.

I thought the lead coated the platinum and made it overheat?

Sponsored Links
Back