Draught Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got a very strange draught and for the life of me I cant figure out the source. I would appreciate some help on this one.

Lately i have been going round the whole house with sealants and foam filling the cracks and draught proofing the house but this one I cant figure out.

It is on the stairs very low down on the steps you only feel it on your feet. You can actually feel the breeze because of this the house becomes really cold even when the heating is on. I have tried using the candle and incense sticks. What I have found is that there is slight suction of air into the loft from the opening but I cant figure out where the really cold air comes from as it blows opposite direction to the loft opening. It seems to die down as soon as you are almost at the end of the stairs or almost at the top. Adjacent wall to the stairs is an external wall. I have checked the wall for cracks and holes.

My idea is air is circulating as hot air might be getting sucked upstairs and cold air is going downstairs but dont know from where!

Sponsored Links
The lofts access needs a better seal, it will draw the hot air up and cold air falls, you always have cooler air at the bottm so only you feet notice the difference in temp , no real mystery.
A draught free house is an any unhealthy house, mold and spores thrive on it.

Many thanks foxhole, I am planning to insulate the loft access but there is no cold air falling from there. Only the hot air is going up. There are no signs of cold or for that fact any breeze at all upstairs but as soon as you are a couple of steps down it starts.

The stairs are carpeted as well.

There is always cold air in a house, you' feel it' a few steps down because it is channeled in by the stairs, air is constantly cooling against your ceiling so there is a constant supply.My home has the same thing .

Sponsored Links
The lofts access needs a better seal, it will draw the hot air up and cold air falls, you always have cooler air at the bottm so only you feet notice the difference in temp , no real mystery.
A draught free house is an any unhealthy house, mold and spores thrive on it.

I put draft excluder in last night. The loft access has no air circulation now. Even then there is breeze near the stairs. One thing to note is that the side wall as I mentioned is about 50% externally exposed. I have checked for cracks though. The loft is insulated and boarded as well.

It gets really cold and I just wanted to find some way of making it less cooler than how it is at the moment. I have seen similar houses much warmer than mine is I would appreciate if you have any other recommendations?

dont suppos etheres any sockets nearby????.can get a nice draught through those as you can between the skirtings and floors.

No there is not a single hole in the wall. I would have filled it even if there was a mm crack ;)

I hope there is no paranormal activity in that area but that area has constant cold breeze. Its low on top of the steps in the middle. There is no covering under the steps its all open platered and painted. There is a lamp there and a few Deco pieces.

Put some bloody socks on.
How much time do you spend on the stairs? Does it really matter? Have you got nothing better to do?

Put some bloody socks on.
How much time do you spend on the stairs? Does it really matter? Have you got nothing better to do?

I dont want to use the same language as you mate but if you have nothing constructive to say then you shouldnt open your gap!

Your situation might be different but I have a toddler and another baby due anytime now. We shut all three room doors so they are ok as soon as you come out into the hallway from upstairs to downstairs it is really cold. That is due the that breeze. How would you feel if you had to constantly be walking between a normal temperature room and a fridge. MAKE ANY SENSE YET?
Now imagine two little babies to be carried along while you are doing that!

I am here for help and advice not for taunts. So if no one can help I will sort it myself or get a professional. I rate this forum really highly as I have been a member for a long time now.

Sorry if I offended.
I have a 9 month old that (with supervision) has just taken to climbing the stairs so I know your situation but a hot, ventilation free house is unhealthy - especially for young children who need to build up their immunity.
If you have an open landing with balustrades that meets your stairway half way up then it is probably the cold air upstairs at floor level falling from the landing onto the stairs. Also the loft hatch is obviously a problem as you have said you have found slight suction - if hot air escapes into the loft cold air must fall from it also.

if you have an external wall, then in cold weather you will find it chills the air against it, and it flows downwards like a waterfall.

You may be able to see the movement with your incense stick

It will be worse if the wall is solid or uninsulated

If you insulate the wall (cavity or drylining) then you will reduce this cold effect, or you can put a curtain against it. If you put shelves or funiture against this cold wall youi may get ciondensation and mould behind it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back