Freshly skimmed walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had my hallway and stairs re-skimmed. I have left them now for a few weeks and want to start painting. I understand that my first coat of emulsion should be watered down. What would be the best method to apply the paint, roller or brush for the first coats. If i was to go for a roller what is the best type?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Use ordinary white matt emulsion for the initial wash coats, thinned 25-30%; give the plaster 2-3 coats in quick succession, it keeps the surface moist & helps adhesion, fill any light imperfections, sand them back & decorate with your chosen paint type.

I prefer to use a large brush rather than Rollers but I’m not a trade decorator & I'm sure you will get some recommendations from them; rollers always seem to give a mottled texture which can end up looking a bit like Artex after a few re-decorations.

Thanks for the response! I dont really want a mottled texture on the walls so it looks like its a brush. Problem is the area is so big i can see it taking forever to complete. Oh well, one of the joys of decorating i suppose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back