Joist Hangers for External Use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking to use joist hangers to construct and outdoor deck.

Are stainless steel joist hangers a must in this application ?

Are they readily available ?

I have been looking around, but all I could find were galvanised ones ?

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Sponsored Links
Well personally I'd use S/S they are available but probably only to order rather than of the shelf. Having said that it is only an external deck and presumably they'll be slighty protected being under the deck etc so you'd probably get with galv prob just won't last as long.

Sponsored Links
Hi

The deck will only be about a 100mm from the finished ground level.

I would not consider it to be an elevated deck.

Paint the galv hangers with red oxide primer (then an outdoor finish of your choice)?

screw a timber to the external wall ??? or cut the deck joists into the brickwork???

OK heavy duty galvanised joist hangers will be fine, you will need to degrease the galvanising (mordant solution) then either do as 'skenk' suggests or if colour is not a problem paint with 3 coats of bitumen paint (which comes in a limited colour range - black being most common) to protect against the elements.

Job Done!! or at least that part of it!

Regards

why are you bothering with joist hangers on a ground level deck?

ditto,id slpa a treated timber joist on the deck,screw it to the wall and work from that.

Hi

I was "second guessing" the joiner. I wanted to find a source for SS joist hangers in case they were required.

I want to have a gap under the subframe to provide ventilation.

yes there should be a gap, but its at ground level, the joists can screwed into from the outside frame, no need for joist hangers, they aint going to add anything in terms of strength.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back