Pipe stat: flow or return pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a boiler service and the man who did it suggested switching the pipe stat from the return to the flow pipe.

He suggested this after I mentioned the heating was coming on during the night (inc all radiators) for extended periods.

Having searched a few threads, it seems the advice is to attach it to the return pipe. Mine's now on the flow pipe and the heating doesn't come on for as long as before, but I'm concerned my frost protection may be comprimised!

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
i take it your pipestat is for frost protection?

what temp is it set for??

Yes, it's for frost protection (it's hooked up direct to a frost stat).

It's currently at 10c - and by the look of it that's as low as it goes...

is your boiler in a loft or unheated space?

if so, as soon as pipe temp hits 10 deg c or below, it fires up boiler, heat distributes through pipework, when stat hits probably 12/13 deg c boiler goes off

because its on the flow this will warm up quicker than the return will

hence your boiler runs for less time in frost protection mode, but importantly still providing frost protection

Sponsored Links
It's in the garage.

My only real concern is that everywhere seems to say it should be connected to the return pipe. Not sure why, though - surely connecting it to the flow pipe is a better option (unless you like your whole house heating up periodically throughout the night).

connect to flow

protects boiler

connect to return

protects full system

think about it :idea: :idea:

mind what would a thick plastic confederate know ? :LOL:

I agree with Kev.

On the return. This will be the coolest pipe so needs protecting more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back