Insulation thickness on cold flat and pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am building an extension with a part flat roof and also pitched roof construction. The joists are 150mm x 50mm - 400mm centres on pitched roof and 200mm x 50mm on flat roof. Want to have insulation between rafters. Due to the fact that I need an air gap between insulation and breather membrane [cold roof], can I calculate what thickness Kingspan/Celotex I need. I was hoping for 120mm, then have an air gap of 30mm. Not too sure if this reaches the 0.2 U value though. Flat roof is 2Mx4M, pitched roof is 1M x 4M. Flat roof covered with 18mm ply, normal concreete tiles on pitched roof. Happy to put layer of insulation quilt under rafters before I put up 12.5mm plasterboard. Thanks in advance for any help - new to this site.. Chez4836

Sponsored Links
Are you using kingspan on the pitched roof for a reason and not quilt on the ceiling joists??

Current thinking is 50mm airgap, 100mm between the rafters,and 40mm under the rafters.

thats on both roof types.

dont want/cant have a warm flat roof??

Thanks Chukka63, had not thought about quilt - thought Kingspan easier. The roof is unfortunately tiled and felted, so warm roof now not possible [I think]. Therefore could go with the 100mm Kingspan, then quilt underneath, also need vapour barrier, does this go on last before plasterboard? Can I screw the plasterboard directly to the rafters through the quilt or does this compromise the uValue? Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back