Heating but no hot water - new programmer EP2002?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i think i need to replace our Potterton EP2002 programmer. its about 12 years old and the Potterton boiler is fine but we no longer have hot water.

Heating works fine but the boiler is not firing to heat hte hot water (it does sometimes but not often) so i'm having to use the emersion heater instead.

the programmer is quite loose on the wall and i suspect it just needs to be rewired or replaced.

my hub is quite handy and not bad with electrics. i have seen that these programmer units are relatively cheap to source - does anyone know if it is possible/adviseable for a non-professional to successfully replace a programmer unit and if so, does anyone have any tips?

is it quite a simple job and is it best to try and by exactly the same model number?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
you can still get this programmer if you suspect its the programmer at fault then you can change just the programmer and use the same back plate.

have you checked to see whats at fault ?
is the hw light on programmer coming on when selected ?
have you checked for power to the stat ?

Hi, thanks for your reply.

both HW and CH lights come on when they should and both make the 'click' noise when they are slid into an 'on' position.

however, if i slide the CH to once, twice or On, then the boiler will fire up and start to heat the CH.

recently, i have had the problem where if i repeat as above for the HW, the boiler does nothing. It will still fire to heat hte CH if i put that on instead or as well but the water does not get hot out of my taps.

i found for the past couple of weeks, that wiggling the switch back and forwards seemed to force the HW into action but sicne the programmer unit is loose on the wall, i am assuming there is a loose connection to the back plate. but this is only an assumption based on the fact it works exactly as it should sometimes but not others.

in all other respects, the programmer seems to be working perfectly well, ie timers and displays and lights all work as they should. its just that when the HW is on, it isn't making the boiler do anything.

sorry, but what is the 'stat'? (spot the complete novice!).

Sponsored Links
Whip the timer off, and bypass the HW. Live to 3 (out of memory and could be wrong).

Paul.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back