Non paying customer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I am looking for some advise on where best to post a question regarding a customer of mine deciding not to pay the retention now he has his completion in his hands.

I have recently set up in business on my own as a joinery/building company and sub-contract all other trades except my own trade as a joiner, this is my forth medium sized job (a two storey side extension) and my first time coming up against this problem of the customer delaying payment of the retention, and a bit stuck on what to do.

There has been a couple of issues with other trades over the period of the build e.g not turning up when they had arranged to and not so good a leak in the upstairs bathroom after the job was completed.

I have been most accommodating to the customer over the build time and have done extra jobs at no additional cost, but i feel he has a bee in his bonnet about the time taken for myself to complete the extension, one month over the said build time of three months, due to the delays mentioned

So to the point of the post, what advise can ppl give about easing his grip on my cash! apart from going round his house and takin' it out his head!
Can i serve him with some kind of legal letter or dept collection company, as afore mentioned he now has his completion certificate and a very nice extension to suit.

I have a general works contract in place, signed by both parties.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Regards Freddiboi :mad:

Sponsored Links
What type of contract did you have in place (JCT minor/major etc)

I have a general works contract in place, signed by both parties.
What is this exactly?

but i feel he has a bee in his bonnet about the time taken for myself to complete the extension, one month over the said build time of three months, due to the delays mentioned
Were there any clauses in place specifying liquidated damages? A separate legal issue to retention granted, but maybe he is, wrongly, seeking financial redress through withholding retention.

I did my dissertation on retention payments and their associated issues so it's an issue close to my heart. I feel your pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back