Flickering light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks

Quick question. I know electrical work in bathrooms in Part P so I'm not going to tackle it but need to check something before I call a sparky.

We have had our HS & L plastered and the ceiling re-boarded after taking down the old lathe & plaster. The cable running to the light in the bathroom runs across this ceiling. The light in the bathroom flickers since we replaced the ceiling so it seems like the cable in the bathroom has been pulled and is loose at the fitting. I've checked the switch and the cabling isn't loose there. Sometime (but not always) when the switch flickers there is a buzz at the switch.

None of the other lights in the house are affected.

As the switch was off the wall is it possible that the switch was damaged? Is it worth changing this out to see if this rectifies the problem?

Is there anything else this could be? I was thinking the cable may have been pulled and damaged somewhere along its length. Is there any way of checking this with a multimeter?

I'm basically looking to rule out a few potentially simple solutions before shelling out.

Any assistance gratefully received, and a Merry Christmas to you all.

Sponsored Links
Firstly I'd check that all connection are in there terminal points and tight at both the switch and at the fitting in the bathroom.
Isolate the circuit before you do this though!

If you can hear buzzing from the switch, it's not a dimmer, and all the terminals are tight, then the switch contacts are probably arcing internally. This could be due to dust and grit getting into it while you've been having the ceiling removed, and will mean the switch needs replacing.

Sponsored Links
It could do.

If all the connections are tight as per PoB's advice, bypass the switch by putting both wires into one terminal (doesn't matter which). If the buzzing and flickering stop then it's the switch.

Thanks folks. Instead of putting the two wires into one terminal would it make sense to join them with a block terminal? Just conscious there was a hell of a lot of soot etc came down with the ceiling and even one terminal could be full of crap.

Thanks.

Thanks both.

Electronics uk - would this explain the light flickering? Thanks

Yes, if the contacts inside the switch aren't mating properly due to corrosion/dirt/dust on them. If you test as per the suggestions above then you will be able to tell whether or not the fault is with the switch. Let us know how you get on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back