On-going Guttering Problems - any suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently had new guttering installed - 5 inches to cope with the steep roof as it was overflowing in one particular area where there was a further gutter above to drain away water from two dormer windows. The new guttering has solved the original problem (so far!) however I have noted that there is now water appearing after rain at the end of the gutter where the house is not attached. What could be causing this - I can't imagine overflow with a 5 inch gutter unless the guttering is angled incorrectly. The water does tend to sit in this far end and only drains away after a certain level is reached. I am not sure if the recent snow and ice in the gutter has maybe caused this and it might be okay if the ice melts??

I am also not sure if the problem may be that the gutter does not extend past the roof (there is about 2-3 inches that does not seem to have gutter underneath) - however other houses seem to have a similar installation. I have called the gutterer who says he thinks its the roof - but there is no slipped tile and there was no problem before this gutter was installed. Furthermore when they tested it on the day of installation I noticed water down the wall in this area however thought this was just natural overflow from having a bucket of water chucked on the roof. The water begins in a narrow stream and extends into a wider patch as it falls down the outside wall.

Thanks for any help to solve my on-going guttering problems!

Sponsored Links
I think the angle is slightly off as water tends to sit in this far end. It still drains the majority but some remains until it drys up. I was wondering if the leak was something to do with the snow and ice and some extra slippage....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back