Steel Beam Calcs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to some steel beams to support the rear corner of the existing house once a two story side extension is built. The steel beams will be within the ceiling of a large kitchen.

Anyone care to offer me a suitable quote range for an Engineering quote, through my Architect?

Could ground conditions and varying foundations from standard through to piling have a large impact on the quote?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Assuming you want cals/design for the beam only then why would ground conds have any effect? If only for the beam prob about £150-200.

I have been told the Engineer is giving a high quote due to the uncertanty of the ground conditions. Surely he would carry out all calcs based on sound footings and not otherwise, in which case the ground conditions should make no difference to his quote price?

Sponsored Links
I have been told the Engineer is giving a high quote due to the uncertanty of the ground conditions. Surely he would carry out all calcs based on sound footings and not otherwise, in which case the ground conditions should make no difference to his quote price?

Not quite so. The engineer should check the foundation. Of course this is not always practical so he might make a judgement instead. Judgement leaves a bit more scope for error and this needs to be reflected in his PI insurance. Thus the higher price.

It would do no good for the engineer to say, later on, that it was the foundation gov and that was nowt to do with me. He (she) has responsibilities and making excuses will get him (her) nowhere.

Mind you, I would think you should be looking at a maximum premium of about 25%. My normal charge for a simple beam is £225 - a bit more for compound beams. So somewhere around £280 to £300 would be about right.

Hi,

I need to some steel beams to support the rear corner of the existing house once a two story side extension is built. The steel beams will be within the ceiling of a large kitchen.

Anyone care to offer me a suitable quote range for an Engineering quote, through my Architect?

Could ground conditions and varying foundations from standard through to piling have a large impact on the quote?

TIA

I understand STSK Consulting Ltd provides steel beams calcs for free for a limited period, email them.

Hi,

TIA

I understand STSK Consulting Ltd provides steel beams calcs for free for a limited period, email them.

http://www.stskconsulting.co.uk/htm/BeamCalcs.htm

That's all very well but there's often a little bit more to it than producing figures for a beam.
What about lateral stability if the wall being removed is critical to it? There is no substitute for someone going round to actually have a look at the building as a whole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back