Has anyone tried Firefox?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's very, very good. Multiple similtaneous websites, look ahead browsing, no pop ups etc - try it, it's free. I'll just get me coat :D

;)

Sponsored Links
Using as I type. Only ever come across a couple of sites that haven't worked so far. Seems to be considerably quicker than IE. Tried Opera, used to like it, now don't, nothing in particular, just usability issues / preference.

Sponsored Links
I've been using Firefox since it was called 'Phoenix' (version 0.4, October 2002). Firefox becomes really good when you install a few extensions and customise the toolbars/appearance a bit.

Extensions can be found on the Mozilla site or at 'The Extensions Mirror'. Here's a list of Firefox extensions available there. http://tinyurl.com/62ckd Click the links on the page. It'll tell you what each extension does.

Here's the ones I've got installed:

Adblock - BBCode - Bugmenot - Clone Window - Compact Menu - Cute Menu - IEview - Popup Alt Attribute - QuickTabPrefToggle - SpoofStick - TinyURL Creator - Flags - User Agent Switcher.

It's worth knowing though that if too many extensions are installed, it can slow the browser down a bit.

Can someone help me with Firefox

Love using it for the multiple screens etc

Have only 1 problem, and that is with Flash

It doesn't work on Firfox and I cannot get past my firewall to download Flash

You can't access the uk lottery home page with firfox either :cry: :cry:

doitall said:
You can't access the uk lottery home page with firfox either icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif
I use firefox all the time. (still using version 9.3) Funny enough just 2 minutes ago I checked on my lottery results for a ticket I just found in my wallet. No problem ('cept I didn't win ought). I wonder if IE will give me some better results :confused:

swelec said:

Does your firewall block downloads then? Can you not temporarily dissable your firewall while you download it?

swelec said:
Can someone help me with Firefox

Love using it for the multiple screens etc

Firewall ZAP ? If so, under 'Privacy' 'Mobile Code Control' untick 'Block Mime type integrated objects' .... Otherwise zilch !! ;)

disabled firewall. downloaded flash, re enabled firewall

Thanks for the hints

Firefox is great - except it's NO GOOD for heating engineers.
It does NOT work correctly with PartsArena!!!
And won't any time soon because the PartsArena publishers are not rewriting the plug-in that's needed.

croydoncorgi said:
Firefox is great - except it's NO GOOD for heating engineers.
It does NOT work correctly with PartsArena!!!
And won't any time soon because the PartsArena publishers are not rewriting the plug-in that's needed.
There is an extension for Firefox that makes it identify to sites as IE 6. Installing this could be the answer to that problem. Also, there's a Firefox extension for IE only sites. It puts 'Open this page in IE' in the right-click menu. This avoids the bother of starting IE up from scratch and browsing to the page that doesn't work properly in Firefox.

If you want to try installing the extensions, they can be found here:

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/lofiversion/index.php/f2.html

IEView is number 222 in the list and User Agent Switcher is number 507

I've installed Firefox yesterday. Like the option of multiple tabs.
But I also noticed some strange things:

Firefox doesn't show the ALT tags on pictures etc and the font of our online shop changes type? Perhaps someone could do a test for me ? See here? Could be my own settings?

And some of the pages don't scroll down as they normally do in IE.

It's still not my default browser, need to 'test' it a bit more.
(and thought this morning the Firefox was interfering with the DIY-not forum, until I tried IE also which gave the same problem ;)

WoodYouLike said:
Firefox doesn't show the ALT tags on pictures etc and the font of our online shop changes type? Perhaps someone could do a test for me ? See here? Could be my own settings?

And some of the pages don't scroll down as they normally do in IE.
Firefox is a good browser but it does take a bit more setting up than IE to get the best out of it. Mozilla's policy seems to be to supply the basic browser and then leave users to add the customizations and defaults they prefer. Some of that involves adding bits of script to certain files but mostly it's done by installing 'extensions'. These add just about any functionality to the browser you can think of.

In this case, the three things that need doing are:

1. Go to: Tools > Options > General. Click on the 'Fonts and Colors' button. Where it says 'Minimum font size' try setting the font to 11. This should get it looking something like the font size you see in Internet Explorer.

2. Go to this page: http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/lofiversion/index.php/f2.html and install 'Popup ALT Attribute'. It's number 343 in the list. When it's installed, close Firefox and reopen it. You should then get the ALT text when you hover the mouse over images.

3. Is it scrolling with the mouse-wheel that you find won't work? This should be OK but with Firefox you have to left-click on the page you want to scroll first.

I coudn't get in here this morning for a while either.

Sponsored Links
Back