Dark spots on new door linings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had some new door linings fitted and have noticed some dark patches / spots in places. Have sanded which lessens it but some seem to be through the wood to a depth.

Does this sound like some sort of mould / rot, or more like resin issues ? Even if it's not will I have issues with painting etc (got oil based primer and undercost (separates)

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
sounds like knots not sealed correctly, you can buy knotting from any good hardware store apply to unpainted timber leave to soak in the apply a 2nd coat.
leave a few days then undercoat (2 coats) and then top coat.

It's not limited to the knot areas though - the wood is still all bare. I have bought the knotting solution/

The dark spots / patches are on the bare wood itself?

Thanks.

What colour are the patches?Could you post a picture? It sounds like a fungal stain , blue staining is common and I've also seen a black stain too. It tends to develop whilst the tree is alive. Unfortunatly whilst it isn't going to spread or have any other deterimental effects you won't be able to get rid of it :cry:

Sponsored Links
If you use Aluminium Wood Primer (it dries grey, not silver) it is very good at blocking stains and resin as well as knots and scorched wood. I use it and not Knotting. The aluminium particles apparently interleave when it dries.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back