Ldv minibus rear axle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,I've got an ldv Convoy minibus 2.5 and I've noticed that the rear axle is hot to the touch after it's been driven I know that the axle has oil in it as there is no evidence of any leaks.Is it usual for the axle to be hot .Am I worrying about nothing.

Sponsored Links
Axles will get hot to some extent - it has oil in it to reduce friction on moving parts,and friction generates heat.
Is it the whole axle,or more localised? (i.e. could also be caused by binding brakes)
And do you mean "warm" or "HOT" ?
If genarally warm,I would not be concerned - if locally hot,might be worth investigating further.

Hi Powertool and thanks for your reply.The main case that the diffs and propshaft bearing is in gets hot not warm specially after a long run.Got a 140 mile job on Friday 11th cant get it looked at till valentines day.Will it explode?

Yes the diff will be very warm to touch after a run, sometimes in the rain you can see steam. Don't assume though that the oil level is OK just because there are no leaks. I presume being a bus it is a twin wheel version. The brake drums are sometimes very hard to remove because they seize onto the hub. To get them off you have to undo the wheel bearings and remove the halfshaft and then the hub/drum in one assembly. Doing this often causes a loss of some of the oil from the axle tube. It would be best to check the level on flat ground in case this has happened before you bought it.

Sponsored Links
david and julie said:
Yes the diff will be very warm to touch after a run, sometimes in the rain you can see steam. Don't assume though that the oil level is OK just because there are no leaks. I presume being a bus it is a twin wheel version. The brake drums are sometimes very hard to remove because they seize onto the hub. To get them off you have to undo the wheel bearings and remove the halfshaft and then the hub/drum in one assembly. Doing this often causes a loss of some of the oil from the axle tube. It would be best to check the level on flat ground in case this has happened before you bought it.
Thanks david and julie for your advice.Do I top up the oil for the diffs.by undoing what looks like a plug of sorts on the axle tube?

Yes, use one of the containers with a peice of plastic tube on them. There is no dip stick you fill until it comes out of the hole. Try and do it on level ground and keep your arms above the hole as the oil stinks so try to keep it off your clothes. It won't take long and I would do it just to be on the safe side. Don't be tempted to overfill, it is not better and can end up on the brakes.

The filler is near the diff not on the axle tube, I think you are looking at the breather on the tube itself.

manners
Dont top up the diff with engine oil, the diff uses another grade of oil.
If you have a handbook check what oil they recomend.
Quick Fit

Not familiar with the LDV axle,but some have a level plug only,some (generally older) vehicles may have a drain plug as well.
Expect it to be towards the centre line of the axle - often with a recessed square socket (frequently same size as socket set wrenches)
And just to add to the sound safety advice above - remember that if you do this after a journey the oil could well be HOT (I normally undo the plug and stick a finger in to see if I can feel the oil level before topping up,if required)

Sponsored Links
Back