Overboarding a ceiling without noggins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to over board the upstairs ceilings in our 1950's ex council house, the only trouble is there are no noggins in the ceiling, and I can't gain access above as the loft is all lagged out between the joists.

The joists are 15" centres, orginally plasterboarded inline with the joists.

I want to use 12.5mm plasterboard, but I will have to overboard 90 degrees to the joists (the current boards are up inline with the joists and are only 9mm thick, with no supposrting noggins at the end)

I'm worried that 15" centres won't be enough without noggins :confused: but the british gypsum guide book (http://www.british-gypsum.com/pdf/sb_tim joist ceiling_200701.pdf) says that with 12.5mm boards, no supporting noggins are required, I'm a bit skeptical though tbh.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Make sure the joints are all stagggered where possible and you should be fine plenty of screws making sure u get them into the joists every time

hi i've just overboarded a lath&plast ceiling with 15in joist with no noggins and it was fine just make sure you stagger the joints and lay the boards across the joist and it should be fine

Sponsored Links
why don't you just lift the loft insulation? You can cut it with a breadknife.

Wear a dust mask.

Thank you all, I have ended up battening the ceilign out, as Ifelt it would be better suited, It i coming on nicely.

Thank you all for your comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back