constantly bleeding radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

the central heating in my house has never been 100% Some radiators work fine, some 50/50, and one not at all.

last summer i decided to sort out all the problems and changed the ones that wernt working, thermoset valves, and took off a few and flushed them out. when i put everything back together and filled the system up again, most were working well.

recently one radiator has needed regular bleeding, thats twice a day and there will be a lot of air in it.

i the air must be coming in from somewhere but i cant figure out where. ive also got a problem with my hot water tank. i know theres hot water there but when i touch it the hot water pipe is cold/lukewarm. then i run the tap, hear a gurgling and pipes expanding, and then the pipe is hot.

firstly are the 2 things linked?

how do i even start investigating this?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Your system appears to be sucking in air, and this can be caused by sludge deposits on the neutral part of the system.

The open vent and cold feed pipes are critical in where they enter the system.

Your hot water is a seperate issue Im afraid.

thanks for the quick reply, i think that means more removing radiators and cleaning out again!

but what do you mean by a neutral part of the system?

What chemicals did you use (1) to loosen the old sludge (2) to prevent future corrosion?

Sponsored Links
i just used the wickes own brand chemicals. put one bottle in, let it run throught the system for a couple of days. then flushed/refilled. then put in the inhibitor.

just checked n there isnt a rad valve leak.

has anyone used one of those power flush system things? how well do they work? seen one for rent n think it might be a better way to clean the system than taking off each radiator n flushing etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back