Back Boiler Pilot Light Gone Out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all ... i'm currently having an issue with my back boiler (of the central heating variety :confused:) ... realised about an hour ago that it was getting a tad nippy in the house even though the heating is on so checked a radiator to find it stone cold ...

Checked the thermostat thinking that i'd maybe nudged it down too far but it was on 21 degrees ... so then had a look at the back boiler to find that the pilot light is no longer lit ... the boiler is at least 12 years old and has been regularly serviced and this is the first time that i've ever come across any problems. From the service records that I have, it's stated as being a Glow 45 (i'm guessing Glow Worm).

Gas scares me so i'm currently sat here like a frightened rabbit wondering what to do ... is it dangerous? I can't smell gas or anything.

I'm going to callout an engineer tomorrow but just wondered if i should maybe do something sooner?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
No its not dangerous.
There will be instructios in the manual to relight the pilot otherwise get a rgi out tomorrow the thermocouple may need replacing!

Due to the age of the thing I haven't got a manual ... i've located the ignition button but when pressing it, nothing happens ...

I'll call out an engineer asap tomorrow, what a great start to the New Year :cry:

Thanks for putting my mind at rest on the danger front Barry.

give us pic what you can see and talk you through lighting it
by the way i think they stoped making spares for that boiler type
thermocouple are universal though

Sponsored Links
The thermocouple is a safety device, the boiler wont work if this is faulty. They are usually straightforward to replace, needs a Gassafe engineer to do it though.

You can try to relight it for now, look underneath for a round grey knob. Push this in, and hold it in, whilst pressing the ignition button, pilot should light. Hold grey button in for about 30 seconds after pilot has lit, then release it slowly. Hopefully pilot will remain alight.

If it does, you should have heat, if not then needs looking at. Maybe worth getting it looked at either way, if thermocouple is deteriorating it wont hurt to have it replaced otherwise this problem will reoccur.

Hughs' advise about the thermocouple is sound, but I dont think that you'll find a grey button on your gas valve. From memory, the glow worm 45 had a s.i.t. gas valve. To light this you need to turn the black knob to the pilot position, then depress it and press the igniter. (keeping the knob depressed for at least 30 seconds after the pilot is lit.) Remember to turn the knob back to the full flame position or you wont get any heat. Hope this helps cos its baltic oot there tonight :cry:

Yeah it's a S.I.T.
Black knob I've shown with a red circle.

Piezo knob I've marked orange, you may have to click at like an idioit to get the pilot to light, and it may be a swine to see the flame. If it's a dead thermocouple it'll light in the ignition position, but however long you leave it, go out when youturn it to normal flame.

18960035.jpg

Thanks for all the advice ... the pic you posted Chris was spot on ... i managed to relight the pilot and it's been on all night ... still going to get it checked though as that's the first time in 10 years that it's gone out so there's obviously something wrong ... just pleased to have some heat, thought i was going to either be frozen to death or be gassed to death last night :eek:

My apologies, had a picture in my head, unfortunately it was the wrong one..... Glad you got it going though.

Biggest danger of 'gassing' with this type of appliance is Carbon Monoxide, but as you have the sense to get it serviced regularly that shouldnt happen. For peace of mind though you could always get a CO detector fitted in the room, but never rely on these in lieu of a proper service by a registered engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back