urgent-Potterton Suprima 100 - red light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler won't work at all. Red light flashing on and off - 3 SEC'S ON AND 3 SEC'S OFF.
Previously boiler was moody (used to fire up for 1o seconds and then cut ou t most of the time but lways seemed to work early in morning and then again at night) but Had PCB board replaced 11 months ago (INTERPART 5111603) last time thi s happened and has worked (unreliably) since then -
bearing in mind pcb boards cost Now it is kaput should i just ring POTTERTON?

over 200 euro should i be looking at getting new boiler soon?

Sponsored Links
I SHOULD SAY THAT 1. THE HOUSE IS FREEZING AND 2.I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN BUT ON OBJECTION TO HAVING A GO ANT PLUG AND PLAY REPLACEMENTS.

IS IT PCB BOARD?

IS IT THERMISTOR?

The new boards are fairly reliable.
Do you have the thin "manual" that came with the new board?
I expect it's online at partarena.com\baxi
Have you tried the reset procedure?

10 seconds indicates lack of flow, and consequent overheating. Is it a sealed system? COuld be lack of water.
Does the pump sound ok - try changing its speed, you should hear it respond.

HHope you've got an immersion heater for HW.

water is fine.Have pressure of 2 1/2 bar.

.yes I have the thin manual from the new pcb board and I followed the troubleshooting procedure diagram. The flashing red light according to the flow chart indicates it is either therimstor or the pcb board. It tells me to check the resistence of the thermostor is between 20kO* and 4MO* with a multi meter . I did this today and restance was O L but i am not sure what that means really. anyone know how to use a multi meter?

Friend of a friend put in a new pcb board he happened to have today but it was actually worse so we put the old one back in. Since then it is igniting and going thru the cycle as before but 15 or so seconds after the flame goes on it goes out again as if something is telling the boiler that it has reached its temperature when in fact it hasn't.

I heard from a few people that the pcb boards are notoriously unreliable and that this Potterton suprima boiler is in fact a load of crap.

It came on for an hour just now so the house is quite warm - very moody boiler. Man who came today going to put in a new thermistor on Monday - they are cheap

Sponsored Links
i should say that it is a sealed system and I can hear the pump working and it seems to working okay. I haven't changed pump settings in last year and it gave no trouble since then. How would I change the speed of the pump any way?
thanks

thanks - if it is just the thermistor then happy days - am getting a new one on monday and will let u know what happens
thanks
dermot

Boiler won't work at all. Red light flashing on and off - 3 SEC'S ON AND 3 SEC'S OFF.
Previously boiler was moody (used to fire up for 1o seconds and then cut ou t most of the time but lways seemed to work early in morning and then again at night) but Had PCB board replaced 11 months ago (INTERPART 5111603) last time thi s happened and has worked (unreliably) since then -
bearing in mind pcb boards cost Now it is kaput should i just ring POTTERTON?

over 200 euro should i be looking at getting new boiler soon?

I have a potterton boiler. The red light was flashing on the box in a cupboard where the hot water tank sits. I checked the web forums and did nothing about it because it seems to cost a lot. The radiators were heating and so was the hot water, but the red light flashed for weeks. Then today the radiators were cold. I checked the room thermostat and found the little screen was blank. No temperature setting displayed. I rang round a few friends who gave me four Duracell AA Plus batteries. I replaced the old batteries and the thermostat displayed the room temperature. As an afterthought I glanced at the box with the red flashing light. The light was out. Just the green light showed. Now I wonder if this is the answer to the flashing red light on the potterton boiler? Is the red light a warning that the batteries in the room thermostat are running flat? When the thermostat is not working the radiators will not heat up. This appears to be the solution to my problem. And it only cost the four Duracell Plus batteries. It may not solve the problem for others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back