fifth floor flat bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to install a window fan in a bathroom.

Never done a window fan before, but I can imagine that you need access from inside and outside to secure the two halfs. A bit of a problem since the flat is five stories high.

Is there a fan that can be fitted to a window, working entirely from the inside.

Not sure yet why the homeowner is asking for a window fan, and not a standard extractor, all I know the bathroom has no fan at all.

A window fan seems like a lot of expense to me, with the additional cost of glaziers etc.

Are they any other options for ventilation available. I am sure I have heard about condenser fans, but my internet search has not been successful.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the pane of glass you're putting it in, in an opening frame?

If so, remove the opening frame & fit the fan. Then put the frame back in (without dropping it five floors down!)

If it doesn't open, they'd be better off just getting a dehumidifier.

On the other hand, is it a UPVC frame, and are the seals on the inside?

If so, replace the double-glazed unit with a replacement with hole for fan. Fit the fan first.

If there are internal beads then no problem, if not then I think a wall fan is a better option using a duct with in built grill which can be installed from inside.

5011141118634_001c_v001_ap

5011141118641_001c_v001_ap

Sponsored Links
Gary,

Have you got links to those two internally-installed ducts please - I have been looking for something like that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back