Bang - tripped elec shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My elec shower 18 months old has tripped when I pulled the ceiling cord a bang could be heard from the actual wall mounted shower unit. Is it safe to reset the switch in the garage and try it again or not? Any ideas what might have happened?

Sponsored Links
best not to until you've investigated the source of the bang..

could be a melted cable

My elec shower 18 months old has tripped when I pulled the ceiling cord
What tripped? MCB or RCD?

a bang could be heard from the actual wall mounted shower unit. Is it safe to reset the switch in the garage and try it again or not?
No.

Any ideas what might have happened?
Something not right inside the shower. Who installed it?

If you're sure the power is off, take off the cover and see if you can see anything wrong, evidence of short-circuits, connections come adrift etc.

At less than 2 years old it should be in warranty, but even if not, then as long as it was properly installed and whatever is wrong is a fault with the product and not how it was installed, you should return it to where you bought it for a refund - 18 months is not a reasonable lifespan.

How easy would be that be to do? Do I just unscrew shower from wall and take a look? Could it be the the power cord or is this unlikely when the bang came from the shower unit? Teenagers could have been excessively pulling the cord on New Years Eve. Sorry for the dumb questions but being a girlie girl I have no idea where to start!

Sponsored Links
Was installed by qualified electrician. The switch in the garage tripped in the separate fuse box the electrician installed for it. Not sure what that is called.

there will probably be one or two screws at the bottom and top of the shower unit to remove the front.

make sure power is off first.

mind you don't lose the screws down the plug-hole.

can you send a photo of the inside?

you need assure the circuit is dead, then romove the switch cover first and look for loose connection, if that all seems fine then remove the cover of the shower unit again check that the in coming fed is connected correctly again look for loose connections and the cables are in the correct terminals.

Thank you everybody! Seems to be working now - I switched off had a look and could see nothing wrong - no loose wires etc... Put back together and switched back on and it all works. Obviously because I am typing this I have not electrocuted myself this time! still not sure what went wrong can only assume the kids were excessively pulling on the cord.

Doesn't quite add up.

If the shower on the wall went bang and it tripped out the RCD (or MCB we on't know which yet). I am not convinced that you have bottomed out the problem.

Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back