glowworm 38cxi f12 fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Has anyone any experience with a glowworm 38cxi flashing an intermittent f12 error code. The book says check connections from main board to user interface but they seem ok. Sometimes this error code does not come on but even then the boiler does not fire. The fan comes on but sounds to be surging a bit like a revving engine. Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
check air pressure switch if that okay the fan is proably faulty

it hasn't got an aps and its unlikely to be the fan. :rolleyes:

Its a tricky fault to get to the bottom off. I'd recommend calling Glowworm for a fixed price repair. Last 2 I had needed pcb but can also be harness or display pcb and not very easy to check. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Would agree with last comment, not an easy one. We have had a similar thing in the past on these boilers where it has shown f12 but has actually masked a dhw plate to plate exchanger fault, expensive because the changing of the user interface (display) board proved to be not needed but was what glowworm suggested.......

Thanks, the annoying thing is its only just over 3 years old. Had an engineer to it today and when he arrived it was just flashing f12 whatever we did. He spent an hour or 2 testing it but was still not convinced what it could be. As I said earlier the fan at one point was almost like a revving engine. Sometimes it would flash f12 and others it wouldnt and would just run the fan forever and not stop without even firing up.
Have you any experience as to how much the fixed price repairs are on these ?

We have had a similar thing in the past on these boilers where it has shown f12 but has actually masked a dhw plate to plate exchanger fault, expensive because the changing of the user interface (display) board proved to be not needed but was what glowworm suggested.......

But presumably you did not charge the customer for a new part which was not needed to solve the problem?

Tony

Have you any experience as to how much the fixed price repairs are on these ?

yes I used to do them. £250 when I left. Not cheap but neither are pcbs.
A revving fan would possibly indicate the display pcb as this controls fan speed. A new display would need setting up properly as its a generic part and not identical, ie a pro is recommended.

A British Gas fixed price repair is apparently usually about £180 depending on location.

Tony

A British Gas fixed price repair is apparently usually about £180 depending on location.

Tony

that's true but they will have to order the spares, whereas GW will have them on the van. I guess it depends how much you value an extra day of your time

One of my customers ( yes, a mean one! ) chose to order the spare part by mail order in order to save just £10 on the next day over the counter price I could get it for.

But she had to wait four days to save that £10 instead of having it working again the next day if I had supplied the part.

Her brother who was there when I fitted it for her asked me what guarantee I was giving on the repair. I replied that as I had not supplied the part then I obviously could not give any guarantee on it !

Tony

Hi
Has anyone any experience with a glowworm 38cxi flashing an intermittent f12 error code. The book says check connections from main board to user interface but they seem ok. Sometimes this error code does not come on but even then the boiler does not fire. The fan comes on but sounds to be surging a bit like a revving engine. Any ideas ?
I changed all 3 pcbs on the boiler, then out of desperation I phoned technical support they said it was the flow sensor and sure enough it was! Expensive fault finding exercise. Swear they do it on purpose! Bar stewarts!

Hi
I changed all 3 pcbs on the boiler, then out of desperation I phoned technical support they said it was the flow sensor and sure enough it was! Expensive fault finding exercise. Swear they do it on purpose! Bar stewarts! afcbtony

Hi
I changed all 3 pcbs on the boiler, then out of desperation I phoned technical support they said it was the flow sensor and sure enough it was! Expensive fault finding exercise. Swear they do it on purpose! Bar stewarts! afcbtony

what testing told you it was all 3 boards? dont see how thats anyone elses fault that you got it wrong.

sounds like the only thing the technical team did was help you get it right, which i suppose they do on purpose.

i have a simular fault on my 24cxi
fan running flat out and f12 fault flashing I've followed this thread and changed system pressure sensor and flow sensor but still no joy

is there a way of resetting the pcb or something

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back