Garage Roof Project Can I or Can I Not "Take A Saw To i

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there all, 1st post from me so be gentle, must say though what a cracking forum this is. :D

Right my question, moved into a new house about 6 weeks ago, it has a brick built double garage with a stable block attached to the rear. I am a keen car enthusiast and have a 2 poster car ramp that i would like to install in the garage, the problem is the height of the ceiling it to low.
Above the garage and the stables is a loft where the previous owner stored there hay, this is the full length of the building, the floor has been covered with 19mm chip board and the ceiling of the garage has plaster board.

What i want to do is remove a section of the ceiling/ floor to allow the car to go up into the roof space. The roof has purlins i think? (I have posted some photos) there are joists that run either side of the building and look to rest on the wall plate, what would i have to do if i wanted to removed these ?

Are they there to support the floor ?
Are they there to hold/ support the roof ?

Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Hi. Control your patience until you get some advise. What i can tell you is that the joist that run from wall plate to wall plate tie the roof, to stop say 40 degree pitch turning into 30 degrees. A house of cards effect. Good Luck

you might get away with a couple of trimmers but depends on the length of ceiling you want to cut out but without being on site i wouldn't say for sure on here.how long a section do you want to cut out????

If the purlins remain and are independently supported then a degree of spread will be contained.

However, it is not something i would tackle until a structural bod has had a peek.

Sponsored Links
that`s better built than a lot of houses :eek:

Get an Isetta...only need to take out 2 ceiling joists then :idea:

Thanks for all your reply’s. I have had my builder and roofer around, they can put in 2 steel RSJ do some wood work and open up the ceiling but i showed them some cracks in the outer walls and explained how i wanted to knock though to the stables to make the garage longer also make the main garage wider. The general felling was i would be better to knock it down and build ultimately what i want which is quite a large garage block.

What i want is 4 quite wide (3.400 meters) single garages with 6 meter wide workshop in the centre where i can put the ramp to work on. The building would be 2 story with and office / games room on the 2nd floor.
I am busy estimating the cost be expect a build cost of £40K +

The estimated cost to put the 2 RSJ,re cast the floor and fit a new roller door to the existing garage come in at £4,500+. This still would not fix the problem with the foundations that on the one side building needs to be under pined really, it would get me working in there but it is not a log term solution.

I may post up my progress in the projects section.

Again that you for all you help and input :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back