Shaver unit off shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
just a bit of help, is it legal to spur off an selv shaver unit from my shower?the isolation point is in my airing cupboard I know I'm gna need an fcu 3a but just wanted to make sure it was legal
thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming what you meant by your question is it allowed by the regs, however to answer your actual question first, is it legal - the answer would be only if you notify your LABC in advance and pay their fee as any electrical work in the bathroom is notifiable under Part P of the building regs (see the wiki for more information).

As for whether it is allowed by the regs, it's a difficult one - in a lot of cases the shower circuit may be designed to be at full capacity when the shower is on, now while realistically a shaver unit isn't going to cause it to trip, it does still violate the design. The other issue is that the manufacturers instructions (which the regs require you to comply with) probably state that the shower should be on a dedicated circuit, if it's being used for a shaver as well then it isn't...

Would it not be easier to just take your shaver unit off the lighting circuit?

(Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician, this is just my opinion etc etc)

SELV= Seperated Extra low voltage (uses a transformer.)

But I didn't think I would have to notity as the work is not going in my bathroom, the airing cupboard is located in the hall way.

I know I can take it off the light but as I'm living in a flat with a newly decorated bathroom my missus won't let me touch the plastering :p

IF the shower is coming off another circuit (which I don't think it is.) Than there should be no problem.

Sponsored Links
SELV= Seperated Extra low voltage (uses a transformer.)
You've got an ELV shaver?

But I didn't think I would have to notity as the work is not going in my bathroom, the airing cupboard is located in the hall way.
You want a shaver socket in the airing cupboard in the hallway?

Yeah and ELV shaver unit, common in most houses?!? Or am I saying this wrong?

I only want it in my airing cupboard because it is out of the way and with a small flat.

Yeah and ELV shaver unit, common in most houses?!?
Never seen, or heard of, an ELV shaver or an ELV shaver supply.

Or am I saying this wrong?
The IEC definitions of voltage bands are:
  • Extra Low Voltage: AC below 50V and DC below 120V
  • Low Voltage: 50 - 1000V AC or 120 - 1500V DC
  • Medium voltage: 1kV - 35kV
  • High voltage: 35kV - 230kV
  • Extra-high voltage: >230kV

I only want it in my airing cupboard because it is out of the way and with a small flat.
Presumably it's just to charge up the shaver, i.e. you don't plan to stand in the doorway of the cupboard to have a shave?

Well it's the shaver unit that uses a transformer at a supply off 110v so by definition a low voltage, so what is that called?

you sure it's 110 and not dual voltage?
we don't use 110v over here for shavers..

It's probably a 'shaver supply unit complying with BS EN 61558-2-5.' Not exactly snappy, is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back