changing sealed unit in compostie door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got a sealed unit to change a composite door looking for advice on removing glass
any help would be gratefull tyou

Sponsored Links
Dead easy, first take a look at the moulded plastic bead that surrounds the glass, take a close look and you'll see what look like littlecircles, these are actually push in plugs covering screws. Get something with a sharp point like a tiny flat bladed screwdriver and prize them all out. Now these screws are self tapping and go right through the door and screw into the outer bead thus sandwiching the glass in the door.

To measure up for the glass measure the visible area of the glass, side to side and top to bottom and the add 24mm to both measurements, this will make the unit the correct size, oh and the unit will be 24mm thick

Hope that helped :)

thanks for your reply, is that the standard overall thickness of sealed units in these type of doors ,

Yes, made up with 4mm glass, 16mm cavity, 4mm glass.

One thing i forgot to say before was run a stanley knife around the edge of the glass a few times, there may or may not be some sort of horrible chewing type seal there sticking it to the plastic bead surround, did you find the little caps on this bead?

Sponsored Links
thanks again for your help
went today were i purchase my glass sealed units at
qouted prices of 120 pound for unit to fit door, sealed units has a fancy pattern which look like it been sandblasted or etched into glass
would you this is dear for a replacement unit

Yes that more or less about right. To make sure you order the right size it might be worth removing the inner bead to just check the sizes, just to be safe ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back