ariston micro genus; radiator vibrating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I rent a flat and the radiators make vibration noises - a very loud hum. It is loud in the flat, but it is *extremely* loud for the downstairs neighbors. The radiators themselves don't shake or anything, though.

One radiator vibrates loudly almost hourly when the heat is on. The bedroom radiator make the noise once every few days. The bathroom one does not seem to make noise.

In the autumn, my landlord said it was because I was running the heat too often or too high. I never had this problem at my last flat, about the same age, so I do not understand the logic. He's the landlord, so I did as he requested and put the timer on for heat a few hours a day.

Besides being cold, this has not helped. Oddly, it seems worse since he bled the radiators last week. On the plus side, it is warmer and I have hot water.

The vibration starts when you can hear the water go in the boiler. If I move the knob on the actual radiator to a different setting, it usually stops (if it is on 3 and I move it to 5 and vice versa).

The past couple of days, I have had to turn the heat off to get it to stop. Does anyone have a suggestion that would:
a) get my landlord to believe me? He tried to replicate the noise but could not do it on demand. I held the phone to the radiator once, but that didn't help.
b) fix the problem?

Not sure if this makes a difference, but bleeding the radiators happens at the boiler, not on the radiators.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Kind regards, lg

p.s. it is a small boiler. I think it's called 'on demand' but I'm not sure

Sponsored Links
bleeding the radiators happens at the boiler, not on the radiators

eh? you can only bleed rads at their vent points with a small key.

You probably have thermostatic rad valves. They can make a noise while they're closing if there's too much water going, through or for old ones, if they're on the wrong end of the rad. Look for a single headed arrow or a double headed for the new ones, which don't mind.

A thing to try is to turn down the valves st the other end of the rad. Not easy really, you'll have to remove the cap which will be difficult if it isn't screwed on, then turn the shaft underneath - needs a small adjustable spanner really. About 1turn open is all any of the rads will probably need, more open the further they are from the boiler.

Your landlord is an asshholle, thermostaic valves incorrectly fitted or old and nackered, they need repalcing and possibly an auto byepass fitting to the system, tell the landlord to get his finger out his arssee get his wallet out and get someone in to rectify problem, if he can get anyone decent, I wont do work for landlords.
Have a look on your gas safety certificate copy (you should have one by law) to see who he uses for that, they may be able to give you some advice before contacting your landlord again.

Sponsored Links
That sounds very complicated and I will definitely need an expert. I'll have a look at the gas safety certificate and see if I can ask that guy for a quote. I don't want to have to move :cry: !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back