Kitchen Downlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looking for some alternative advice on installing 8 downlighters 50W in the kitchen. The sparky i'm using has suggested using LV (£15.00 each), but i've been made aware of connecting to the mains. Which way should i go? :confused:

Sponsored Links
FatFigo said:
Just looking for some alternative advice on installing 8 downlighters 50W in the kitchen.
Do you really need 400W of lighting in a kitchen? That sounds an awful lot of energy (think of the Ozone layer! :) )

If you really need 8 areas of light, have you considered the 20W versions? Eight of these still cost three times as much to run as a single 5' fluorescent, but it's 40% of using 50W and you'll save money on the the transformer(s) too.

Cheers,

Howard

Sponsored Links
some would say there are reliability issues with mains rated over 12volt ones. I personally think mains rated are perfectly ok if used properly ie to stop the high inrush current when cold which is one of the main reasons for blowing them, I use soft start controllers which work very well and seem to stop all the reliability issues.

we have 9 in our kitchen, but its a very large kitchen with a high ceiling

have fitted some in a bed room just by using loads of 20w, would say its the way to go!

low volt v mains

almost three time the lumen output per watt
longer life
cheaper lamp cost

One critical point which ever you choose ( buy branded products especially lamps)

Delman, sorry to but in,

mondial, please see forum rule 17 & 20 the post you have hi jacked was made in 2005

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back