How to remove a larder cold shelf?? (with pic)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any tips for how to remove a larder cold shelf? Lump of concrete, 50mm thick, 500mm deep & 1200mm long ish. Only attached at the ends (500mm), not at the back of the shelf (1200mm) Dont have many heavy duty tools, club hammers about it!

A pic tells a thousand words!

06012010405.jpg

Sponsored Links
It depends how neat you want to be? A sledge hammer will make very short work of it and even your lump hammer may work as long as you nibble 2-3 inch chunks off at a time. A sledge will be very quick but will destroy anything else in the demolition zone. Those tiles for a start will probably get ruined.

It is short enough to probably not have any steel rods in it but if there are the concrete will break around them relatively easily as its so thin but you'll need a grinder to trim them at the wall.

Once you have the guts of it out you will either need to be very patient and chip away the remaining edges or better still rent/borrow an angle grinder and cut it out. If you have a hammer drill you could also drill many holes tight along the edges and then a bolster and chisel to tidy it up.

I have both an angle grinder and a hammer drill, more tools than I thought I had!

Thanks for the advice, sounds like stitch drilling along the edges could be the best idea. See if I can annoy the neighbours this weekend!

odd that,i removed one today with a kango.the bungalow is empty and being renovated so making a mess and getting a plasterer in is no problems.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to bump an old thread, but it is mine!

Got a SDS + drill today with chisel only function. Im a little concerned as I have an asbestos water tank in my loft (redundant), is there any chance this shelf may contain asbestos too?

06012010405.jpg

About as likely to contain asbestos as softus is to return and agree that rising damp exists ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back