Storage Heater Dual Power Input

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently live in a 100 year old ground floor flat that has old storage heaters. They were turned off all summer until about October and now in January they are not able to keep up with the freezing weather.

I know modern storage heaters allow the use of off-peak power and on-peak boost but I would like to know if it’s possible to do this with a standard storage heater and a wall switch of some kind so I can top up the heat to the bricks using full price electricity.

Ideally what I am looking for is a switch that takes two live wires, 1 from the off-peak and 1 from the normal circuit and 1 output to an appliance, the circuit would then be determined by that state of the switch. I have had a look about online for such a switch but can’t find anything.

Does such a thing exist?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Change over switch would do the job, but there not pretty and you would have to remember to manually change the switch between peak and off peak supply.

KMT338212I.JPG

Thanks for the quick reply.

Thats just what i was looking for although your right they are not pretty and pretty big as well.

I'll have a shop about and see if i can find. Thanks for your help!

how much room do you have in your electric cupboard?
you could always fit a bank of relays with a timer.. switch it at source..

Sponsored Links
not really.. the "off peak" supply should be in a seperate board?
you simply run the tails through a large contactor or 2 that break the one set ( from the off peak supply ) and connect it to the peak side..
this would of course work for ALL of the heaters then, not jus the ones you want to "boost"..

you could always have a chat with your supplier explaining the situation and they may have a newer meter that allows for a "boost" function if you need to overide the off peak..

if you could do us some photo's of the fuseboards and meter/s we could advise further..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back