VW POLO 2004 FSI EPC LIGHT COME ON THE DASH BOARD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
On my vw polo 2004 FSI. The EPC light come on on the dash board. Checking every thing working fine. Only the brake light is not coming on. when i brake. and one of back fog light not working as will Check the bulbs , and the fuse all of them are good. Can any help what could be the problem . and where to look for the problem.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
if the brake lights have stopped working it could be logging problem with the brake light swtitch. I would get the fault codes read first and see what comes up

Thank you for reply
I connect the OBD 2 to get the fault code, but there is no fault code. It only the light comes up on the dashboard ECP . i don’t know what is this mean . it look like it do with electrical control programme.
Any way i disconnect the battery i thought that will solved the problem. When i reconnect the battery the warning light is gone but the fault is still there. The brake light is still not working .
Please help if you can.

My wife has a 2001 polo and her car had the same problem. In this instance it was the brake pedal switch that was faulty. Its a common fault on Polos apparently. There were no error codes on a scan. The switch is only £7 from Euro Car Parts and is really easy to replce. Remove the screws holding the plastic cover above the pedal box (you will need a Torx head screw driver for this). The switch is located behind the pedal at the top. To remove it it needs a quarter turn and it slides out, then remove the wiring connector. Replacement of the new one is the reverse. Brake lights should then work. You may need to clear the error codes with a scan tool to extingish the EPC light.

It may not be that, if you have a multimeter you check the switch first before replacing but at only £7 it is probably worth a punt.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply
As i say there is no error code on the car. i connect the OBD 2 to get the code but there is no code in the car. Then i disconnect the battery and now the ECP warning gone. But the fault is still there.and i forgot say that one of back fog light not working as will. Any i will check it out tomorrow the brake switch and i have got the multimeter. Could you let me know how to test this switch if you don’t mind?
Thanks you

The EPC light is a bit of an oddity, on some VAG cars it is the Engine Management warning light (i.e. it lights up when the ECU logs an error, which you then read on a scan tool). On others it is not the ECU light. For example I have an Audi A6, that has an EPC light and another light which is an engine with a spark in the middle. That is the ECU warning light. So what is the EPC light? EPC is Engine Performance Control, or Engine Power Control, most VAG cars now have drive by wire electronic throttle controls, so no throttle cable. The ECU use a thottle position sensor to operate a motorised throttle body. The ECU monitors a number of systems in relation to the control of the thottle. One of the systems is the brake circuit, i.e. it checks the see if the brake lights are working. If it detects they are not it lights the EPC light and may even go into 'limp-home' mode. You brake lights are not working which is why you get the fault. Disconnecting the battery will clear it but if you drive it about it will come back.

Now, it is probably easier to test the brake light switch (BLS) by removing it. The circuit needs to be tested with the switch depressed. Use the resitance setting on your multimeter and check the reading between the terminals. 0 or infinty indicates the circuit is open. If so replace the switch with a new one. If the the cicruit is ok then check you have voltage at the plug which connects to the BLS. If these are ok then check the fuse again (to be sure), also check the bulbs with the multimeter as there maybe a break which you can't see. If these are ok check you have voltage at the rear light cluster.

If none of these show a fault come back to us. I am sure it is the BLS, it is a common fault.

You say one fog light is not working, most cars only have one fog light at the back anyway, are you saying there used to be two and now only one works? If you are sure there used to be two then check the bulbs and fuses, I don't think it is releated to the brake light/EPC problem.

Hi
Thank you for reply Iwaters
I take off the brake switch. Test it with multimeter the 2 each side pine i get from 55k OHM but it keep jumping up and down and stay on 1.6 OHM. I don’t know what this mean is. It dose not make any different if the switch is depressed or no. then I disconnect it and reconnect it again. It show low resistance from 1.5 ohm to 1.8 OHM and stay there. On the middle 2 pines I get 2.6 OHMAnd i check the so circuit is ok then check the voltage ok 12v.. I will try to buy the switch see if the switch is faulty. But you say if I get 0 or infinity then the switch is faulty. But now I am getting a very low resistance. Will this mean any thing or no. I mean I don’t want buy another switch if this on is working ok.
I will much appreciate Your
Thank you

VAG car - engine warning light on the dash - no brake lights = Almost 100% the brake light switch.

I saw you had 2 posts, so looked for the other one out of curiosity.

And now I realise that you're just another worthless scumbag spammer.

But being American you are so f*****g thick and geographically challenged that you end up spamming into countries where people would never buy from you anyway.

What a credit you are to your country and to ********.com - they must really value you as an employee. Can you find your way there and back home each day without a map, or is that not a problem because you aren't allowed out unaccompanied?

A strange fault that I got in an old car was that the (!) light was on always, indicating an error in the brakes...and it was due to a shorted brake light...So maybe something as simple as a shorted bulb? And that's why it doesn't show on the test? It may be a dual filament bulb, so still works partly?

Sponsored Links
Back