Washing machine keeps tripping the fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone could give me a few pointers.

We have just brought a new LG washing machine all works fine I although I haven't tried every cycle

The problem seems to be when doing a 60 deg wash the washing machine trips the fuse while performing the wash part of the cycle...Spin, rinse are all fine.

Not really a big prob as will be covered by warranty but just want some advice before I call it in.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated

Many thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
"trips the fuse" aint enough!

Is it:

a) the fuse in the plug
b) the fuse at a fuse box
c) the MCB at a consumer unit (in which case what rating is it? it may have such markings as B32 or B16 or B20)
d) the RCD at the consumer unit (it will say somewhere on it 30mA or 100mA or 0.03A or 0.1A and have a test button)

Sponsored Links
Initially it sounds like it could be an overload on the circuit, particularly if it is the higher demanding 60 degree wash only that is causing this, however, as explained, more info is needed...

Arn't we all supposed to try to wash at 30 now anyways ;)

Modern washing machines are usually cold fill and then heat the water up to the desired temperature once the machine is full. As opposed to the old way which used hot and cold water then regulated the temp. Some clothes such as greasy overalls may require the higher temps to clean them properly and some people still do a 'boil' wash for their towels and bed linen.
(Just asked the missus about this and thats her reply not mine. :LOL: )

Sorry guys for the lack of info

It is tripping the MCB on the consumer unit, the switch has a B6 marking on it. This also has the combi boiler running on the same circuit if that helps?

Oh and Yes - Whites and towels should be washed at 60 makes the whites brighter and towels last longer :) (Wife very particular)

Thanks for all the input so far guys really appreciate it!

Just browsing, off work again, and noticed your last post, i'm sure the experts will be along soon, but the B6 mcb doesn't sound right, 6 amp is more like a lighting circuit, and is not suitable for the heating element of a washing machine.
Has someone fitted an additional socket, from the boiler circuit, which maybe a spur from a light circuit.
Needs sorting before you continue to use the washing machine

I wonder who fitted a 13A socket on a 6A circuit? 6A is not enough for a washing machine. Either plug it in to a ring final circuit (usually 32A), or get an electrician in to provide a new dedicated circuit. The electrician might be a good idea either way.

Yes, B6 is a 6-amp breaker. I expect it was provided for the boiler circuit so that you could have the boiler working regardless of all the other sockets. Doubtless someone has hung an extra socket on the boiler circuit thinking it would be OK. It isn't.

We have only recently moved into the house so can't collar the electrician that did the work:(..... Think i'll have to call on an electrician friend to sort out the mess!

Thanks for all the replies...I had a feeling it would have something to do with the strength of the fuse.

Just a quick question if the wiring is thick enough eg 2.5 mm or 4mm etc will it be possible to just change the breaker to a B16 or B32?

for a 6A circuit it is much more likely to be 1mm or 1.5mm (assuming it was installed by someone who knew what they were doing).

If you did change the breaker you would then have to fuse down the boiler supply.

Thanks JohnD

The electrician is coming later today (snow permitting) Hopefully he will sort the mess out:)

Thanks you all for the replies the help was greatly appreciated :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back