flueless gas fires

Catalytic converters don't break down, if you read the science, it's obvious why.

I'll take your word on that, but they do have a running and maximum life span.

And there's noway of telling when either is about to expire.

Sponsored Links
DIA, have you actually read the freely available literature?

According to Burley, and this is in their literature (and they have to be careful), they have never foumd a faulty cat. In addition, even if they were to remove the cat, the fire emmisions would pass the safety tests.

Remember that they burn , at most, aprox half of a normal fire, therefore require half the oxygen. POCs in themselves are harmless UNTIL CO is produced due to lack of available oxygen for combustion.

A bit of morning cotroversy, perhaps.

DIA, have you actually read the freely available literature? According to Burley, and this is in their literature (and they have to be careful), they have never foumd a faulty cat.
Well they're hardly going to tell you otherwise are they :rolleyes: If you think everything a manufacturer puts into print is true then your very naive.
the fire emmisions would pass the safety tests. Remember that they burn , at most, aprox half of a normal fire, therefore require half the oxygen. POCs in themselves are harmless UNTIL CO is produced due to lack of available oxygen for combustion. A bit of morning cotroversy, perhaps.
Do you know what kind of readings you would get on an analyser from one of these fires without the cat in place? I doubt its perfect combustion.
Whats deemed as a pass ? I'm genuinely interested.

Sponsored Links
deary me is this going to go on for another ten pages with no one reading the first ten.

micky.....read around page five for your questions.

for the record BG don't service them but we are not allowed to say why. :LOL: i presume "Mr Burley" has been sniffing round with his lawyers as to why the largest servicing company in britain won't touch them with a pole.

Transam
There has to be more than 3 of us. must be a lot of closet installers, afraid to come out.
I firmly belive that with the safety record of these appliances( ok there has been one tragic incidet in 11 years which was attributed to an incorrect install) in my time they will become, for eco. reasons, like the condensing boiler, obligatory, eg flued fires, (heat up the chimney) will be phased out.
I was just trying to find a web site I visited recently, which said some european governments were giving people tax rebates to fit these fires.
I dont know why BG wont touch them, a real cynic might say they dont use/waste enough gas.
I cant get to grips why we dont grasp these new technologies. Japan & USA -not third world countries- have installed, at the last count, 60,000,000,between them in 17 years, with an exemplary safety record. European governments are giving tax breaks if you install them.
Did the person get the (in my day Transco) boys to check the meter regulator. Was the pressure increase also detected at the fire test point

The tragic incident you refer to was caused by the manufacturers sending out the flueless fire incorrectly set. It was overgassed from when it left the factory, if my memory of the official report is correct.

It is still fact, that the only people who say they are safe are those that make them.

Bit like the widney fires out there :eek:

The tragig incident you refer to was caused by the manufacturers sending out the flueless fire incorrectly set. It was overgassed from when it left the factory, if my memory of the official report is correct.

It is still fact, that the only people who say they are safe are those that make them.

Bit like the widney fires out there :eek:

That is correct Dave, I still have the report on my computer somewhere.

The manufacturer (focal point, sent out a dangerous appliance, and the installer got done for failing to find the fault :LOL: :LOL:

Strangely enough, every last scrap of Focal point information, manuals etc, disappeared from their web site the same day. :rolleyes:

A cat has a 10year or 2000hr burn time, whichever is sooner.

Now we all know how lethal flueless fire are, so how is Joe public supposed to know, or are they ticking bombs.

Remember this Flueless fire owners, if it's nore than a few years old, this thread may be the last thing you read. :(

Found it! Newport 6 Oct 2006
Tragic death as a direct consequence of incompetant installer, failing to ensure correct installation.
Any appliance incorrectly installed is potentialy lethal. Just trawl through the HSE incidents with flued fires

without getting too involved in the whole conversation on these, here is an excerpt from MI that i find really strange as there cant be any control over monitoring this
the fire is made by British Fires, Model Wiltshire L23G "the expected life of the catalyst is in excess of 11,000 hrs (10 yrs of normal use, ) After this time the catalyst should be changed" so to me if not monitored fully there could be a problem
average of just over 3hrs per day who can/will monitor this, will we put up a sheet like you see in public toilets where every cleaning visit is logged. the user will log hrs used :eek:

Now we all know how lethal flueless fire are, so how is Joe public supposed to know, or are they ticking bombs.

Remember this Flueless fire owners, if it's nore than a few years old, this thread may be the last thing you read. :([/quote]

Lets cut off ALL open flued fires and boilers, after all they are all lethal ticking timebombs. No service=Soot=CO=Death. There. Now everyone is safe.

Now we all know how lethal flueless fire are,

No they are not!
Why do we in Britain hang on to these urban myths about this product. Why are we so resistant to change

18 years to 2008 :-
USA 18,000,000 installed
Japan 40,000,000 installed (not what you would call 3rd world countries)
Both with exemplary safety records

Come on you luddites, wake up, the world is passing you by. Warm your house not the sky.

Come on you luddites, wake up, the world is passing you by. Warm your house not the sky.[/quote]

what would your comment be on my earlier post of after about 3hrs use a day the cat requires to be changed, how can this possibly be monitored and if it is required surely there could be some sort of control built in to shut the fire down after 11,000hrs, i read the posts by the MD of Burley who says the cat isnt req'd so if it isnt a safety device what is it, and why isnt it required if it has one to start with, not trying to cause trouble it is a genuine query (not like George Michael who is a celebrity query)

Strange how the regs for flueless fires were made to suit the appliances rather than the appliances were/are made to fit with regs.

As long as this sort of practice happens, a death is always only just around the corner.

Come on you luddites, wake up, the world is passing you by. Warm your house not the sky.

what would your comment be on my earlier post of after about 3hrs use a day the cat requires to be changed, how can this possibly be monitored and if it is required surely there could be some sort of control built in to shut the fire down after 11,000hrs, i read the posts by the MD of Burley who says the cat isnt req'd so if it isnt a safety device what is it, and why isnt it required if it has one to start with, not trying to cause trouble it is a genuine query (not like George Michael who is a celebrity query)[/quote]

Cant comment on what you have read. However mine is a Burley. nothing in the MIs about monitoring or changing the cat.
however thier site has info regarding testing of cat's for the equivelant of 30 years, and thereafter finding them as good as new :-

http://www.burley.co.uk/pdf/fixed_flueless_gas_fires_lowres.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back