Interference on freeview

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a Humax 9300 HDR to replace an aging VCR but have had a lot of problems. The picture keeps breaking up and freezing and twice the unit has frozen and will not respond to either the remote or the buttons at the front. When the picture freezes, I have switched to the analog signal from the aerial and noticed that there was interference in the form of horizontal bands of dots, just like you used to see in the days before cars were fitted with suppressors. By the way, no cars were moving in the road, that was the first thing I checked.

I asked a retired TV repairman about it and he said he is getting the same problem. He lives about 2 miles away. Could it be due to radar signals from Glasgow airport? I ask because we are about 8 miles from the end of the runway.

Sponsored Links
I am having the same problem and I contacted Ofcom. They've sent a guy around several times, he has determined that it is interference, but not from my house so he is now trying to track it down. But as it's intermittent this is proving a little difficult.

The service is free, unless they that find the interference is caused by something in your home or your equipment is faulty, then they make a charge of £50 For details click here

Radar interference usually manifests as a series of white flashes for a split second every 4-7 seconds as the dish rotates. You only get the problem when the dish is momentarily pointing at your aerial. If you have anything wrong with the analogue signal then when it comes to digital reception things are 10 times worse. Can you prove the problem by taking your Humax STB to another location on the same transmitter?
If it is your aerial/reception, you could try a ferrite ring on the aerial lead. Just a few turns should be sufficient.

you will get different reception in different rooms and different reception with different tuners in the same room even though they are all supplied by the same feed

for example i dont get dave or sky 3 in the back room but i do in the front room

i dont get sky sports or news down stairs

if i swap tuners between rooms up stairs or downstars different results in different rooms

hopfully it will sort its self out when the signals are boosted when the analouge is turned off

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. I note reference on the Ofcom site to central heating thermostat and I suppose boiler controls may also cause a problem. I will try the ferrite ring trick in case it is mains-borne.

It is intermittent, but I get the impression that it appears at certain times of day, such as between 7.30 and 8 pm and about 9.45 pm, so I will check to see if the heating is doing something at these times, though I know no programmed change is due at these times.

Where they are working on the digital signal this can sometimes send power surges through your tv set ups. Always a good idea to try retuning your tv and pvr this could help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back