myHammer - a cautionary tale!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just started trying to win more private business for myself, so after looking around thought that I would give myHammer a go! Anyway got an enquiry from them about condensation in a loft for £10! Thought to myself "you need roof tile vent - not my bag!" so trying to make the right impression wrote back public message saying "thanks but no thanks". Little did I know there was a little check box - in not a very obvious place - saying send personal message for £5 - which was checked by myHammer! No confirmation that I wanted to pay the £5 - just message sent - you owe us a £5!

So wrote to them, "really sorry - not used to system - sent message thinking it was public - didn't realise box was checked - any chance of cancelling invoice for a £5?". myHammer's reply - no - suggest you upgrade your account. Second message to them "come on it was a genuine mistake gov" - second reply - no - upgrade your account! My reply:

"It would seem that myHammer is a really inflexible contractual money grabbing company that does not care for its customers and only interested in getting everyone on a premium rate. Therefore its unlikely that my company will be doing any future business with myHammer, preferring to put any future business with myBuilder.

PS I note that you sign yourselves Customer Support rather than Customer Service - probably just as well."

So if you are thinking of using myHammer you may want to bear this in mind.

There you go there's my £5's worth!

Sponsored Links
I have upgraded to £30 or so a month thinking that one job a month would do to repay. I have send 57 messages to potential clients with only 4 replys all of which have not offered to let me see the job in the flesh. I think many posters on these site only want a rough, maybe I will type price and they do not realise that the trade have to pay. The system only allows a Parts and Labour style quote too, which is hard to price for without seeing the job.
We can;t give out websites, email or phone numbers either.

having said that one client did have the nounce to find us on google and we got a job via the back door.

I posted a similar article on the plasterers forum and the negative response I got back was massive - its just a hot topic on there that myHammer must have threatened to sue them 'cos everytime the post goes up they have to bring it down! Good to see that we still have freedom of speech! For fun I've priced out some of the jobs on myHammer and if I won the work then I would be buying it in! Why not try it for your trade? You tell me if you can do a quality professional job for what is being quoted!

These Mickey Mouse sites are two a penny. My web site designer had a customer who started one, and asked if I wanted a 6 month free trial.

Complete waste of time. Yes, I had enquiries, but most of the people seemed to be window-shoppers who were pricing up imaginary jobs.

Waste of my time and theirs. At least it only cost me some time.

Sponsored Links
Interesting reply from whitespirit - the only feedback i am getting about these site seems to be negative! what does that say about them?

BEWARE MyHammer somehow talked me into becoming a business partner for a 3 month trial period, it cost £60 (£20 p/month). I've been a business partner for 1 month but my telephone number on my profile is wrong, even though i corrected it several times and informed myhammer as many times... it's still showing the wrong number, not much point in advertising if potential customers don't have your number!! After opting not to quote on a job to bulid a 2 storey extension for £10 yes £10!! i happened to quote on one that i won, myhammer sent me the details of the customer, name, address, tel, email, the lot but the customer didn't exist.. Then suddenly, after only 1 month (of my 3 months trial) my membership is cancelled and i'm asked to pay another £60 to become a "business patner".. i've asked for my £60 back but don't hold out much hope of geting it.. Steer well clear..

Just started trying to win more private business for myself, so after looking around thought that I would give myHammer a go! Anyway got an enquiry from them about condensation in a loft for £10! Thought to myself "you need roof tile vent - not my bag!" so trying to make the right impression wrote back public message saying "thanks but no thanks". Little did I know there was a little check box - in not a very obvious place - saying send personal message for £5 - which was checked by myHammer! No confirmation that I wanted to pay the £5 - just message sent - you owe us a £5!

So wrote to them, "really sorry - not used to system - sent message thinking it was public - didn't realise box was checked - any chance of cancelling invoice for a £5?". myHammer's reply - no - suggest you upgrade your account. Second message to them "come on it was a genuine mistake gov" - second reply - no - upgrade your account! My reply:

"It would seem that myHammer is a really inflexible contractual money grabbing company that does not care for its customers and only interested in getting everyone on a premium rate. Therefore its unlikely that my company will be doing any future business with myHammer, preferring to put any future business with myBuilder.

PS I note that you sign yourselves Customer Support rather than Customer Service - probably just as well."

So if you are thinking of using myHammer you may want to bear this in mind.

There you go there's my £5's worth!

Sounds pretty dodgy to me! Yeah there are lots of directory sites and others similar which want to rip you off. It's hard cos when trying to get work they seem like a good idea, but its true that a lot of the time it's window shoppers on there.

It's a good idea to have a good website if you can afford it or have the know-how to create it yourself, then you'll be found for free.

Rob

***************, UK

Back