Loud Banging Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help! Everytime our heating comes on we have several minutes of very loud banging which sounds like someone hitting the pipes with a hammer. It then seems to clear itself and then works fine.

We put a cleaner in the system and then drained it down, (clean water came out) and have not put inhibitor in but the problem is still happening.

The problem started after the system had been turned off for 3 weeks in the winter.

What else can we try and is it going to damage the system if left?

Please can someone help, its driving us mad!

Sponsored Links
Banging sounds are often the result of the boiler doing what its name suggests - boiling!

Yes - it will definitely damage something if you leave it!

Any half-competent heating engineer should be able to locate and fix it quickly, a competent one more quickly.

Hi I had banging sounds in the pipes particularly close to the boiler and seemingly in the boiler . This turned out to be an intermittently failing pump. This caused the water to boil i imagine in the pipes but I was able to test it in the loft before purchasing a new one.

Regards,
Chriso

Sponsored Links
Further to my previous post I found on testing / monitoring the pump in the loft that on speeds 1 and 2 it wouldn't work but it worked poorl and intermittently on speed 3.
:) Chriso

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back