Key wont come out UPVC lock when locked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My door will lock and unlock open and close easily, but when I lock the door the key wont go passed 1 oclock to line up vertically and come out.

I can get the key vertically and out when it its unlocked just not when locked even if the door is open or closed.
I took the barrel out and it spins freely which I thought it might as the key spins ok to lock and unlock.

Why is it stopping there?

Sponsored Links
The cam (black bit in the middle of the cylinder that rotates) has slipped out of position. With the key withdrawn, and the cylinder held vertically, it should be at 5 or 7 o'clock (narrow section towards the bottom). I'm guessing it's more like 11 or 1 o'clock.

Usually occurs when a key is already in the reverse side of the cylinder, and a key then inserted from the other side and rotated to open the cylinder.

It can be fixed, but if its happened once - its very likely to happen again. Best bet is to buy a new cylinder - just make sure it's the same size as the one currently fitted.

Exactly that! Cheers. Since it has slipped can I get it to slip back?

Its just a patio door so not important but want key out lock for eyes!

If I have to buy one can you explain the 5 pin for £5 or anit bump for £30 on screwfix?

Cheers for your knowledge.

Sponsored Links
The correct way would be to strip the cylinder down, reset the cam, then put it back together again. Alternatively, you can insert keys into both sides of the cylinder and try to "force" the cam around. Personally, I'd just stick a new cylinder in.

With regards to UPVC door security - my opinion is that spending a large amount on cylinders is a waste, as you're unlikely to have the cylinder picked, bumped, or snapped (as long as the correct size is fitted). If someone wants into your house, it's far easier to cave the door in, or force the mechanism open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back