gas consumption

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a worcester boiler I know it is at least 8 years old my gas bills are awful I have one bedroom no gas fire and do not use the cooker very much the gas board have informed me I have to pay £95 a month now could it be the boiler if so how can I check it :cry:

Sponsored Links
Ask your gas supplier to come and read your meter - it could be that you are running on estimated readings.
Find out how much your gas costs per unit, and, after taking a reading of your own from the meter, record how much gas you are using day to day. At least you won't get a shock when the bills come in.....
Consider moving gas suppliers - but if you do, check out all small print and conditions that apply.
By all means consider having your boiler serviced - it could use less gas and will certainly burn cleaner.
John :)

we have a 3 storey ex council house, our heating is never off and we cook with gas, our payment plan with scottish power is £91 per month

Sponsored Links
Check which units your meter is measuring the gas in. Has been on tv several times about the old type meters that read in cubic feet. The energy companies have been mistakenly charging customers on these meters in cubic metres, so then you're paying virtually 3 times what you should be. :rolleyes:

has your meter been changed recently as if it was an old imperial meter
and they turned it to meteric they may have forgot to change your price plan over

I have a worcester boiler I know it is at least 8 years old my gas bills are awful I have one bedroom no gas fire and do not use the cooker very much the gas board have informed me I have to pay £95 a month now could it be the boiler if so how can I check it :cry:
Unlikely to be the boiler. £95pm for a one bed flat (my guess) is ridiculous

Check what units your meter records in. If you look at the front of your meter it will say if it measures in cubic feet or cubic metres.

Post this info and the details from your latest bill: meter reading - start and finish readings, units used, kWH used and we will check the calculation.

How long have you been in the flat? If its not been very long they could have used the latest bill's consumption (cold winter) and assumed the same consumption over a year.

Has the meter been changed since you started living in the flat?

The monthly payment may be high because your previous payments were not enough and you have built up a large balance which they are trying to collect over a very short time.

Check your bill for amount brought forward (first figure) and amount carried forward (last figure).

What were you paying previously?

Do they show a calculation explaining why the payment needs to be increased?

If necessary phone them up and ask why it is so high.

PS There is no such thing as "the gas board". That was privatised years ago and became British Gas, who no longer have a monopoly in selling gas to domestic customers.

Helen, are you living in a flat? Possibly a house converted into flats? If you are renting, firstly have you got your landlords gas safety certificate? This should indicate (and is a legal requirement!!), the gas supply and appliances have been checked and are safe to use. Should have also included a leak test on the pipework.

Also you could try switching all your gas appliances off. Look at the meter, see if the little 'clock' dial is moving, this indicates gas being passed through the meter. I am wondering if other flats in the development are sharing the meter, and you are copping the bill for everyone's gas consumption...... :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back