CAN A PUMP be spinning but not but not circulating water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with circulation on my heating. Can't get water to circulate. Not sure what to do. The pump is moving but not sure it's doing anything as boiler keeps cutting out

Sponsored Links
going by your last post and the cold filling wouldn't fill the system until you used the hose what ever was restricting the cold fill could now be restricting the port to the pump.

Not sure what the above post is about,but to answer your question yes,ive had the impellor fall off a pump before,so it looks like its running,but isnt actually doing anything.

I have taken the pump off and it seemed fine, no blockage. But wondered if it could be at the diverter valve just above the pump?

Sponsored Links
Is there not a way to test the pump. I still hear gurgling in pipework near boiler, I think there's air still in the system but I can't seem to get it out.

Is the existing pump old?
A pump can be running and not pumping very well,or a bit slow,on more than a few occasions i have fitted a new pump and it has cured circulation problems.
For the sake of a few quid for a new pump, i would change it before ripping the system apart.

Has a pump once that was 'running', but we couldnt get the water to circulate from the boiler. Changed pump, problem solved.

when you have the pump off, open the pump valves, one at a time, into a bucket and verify that water gushes out (no air and no blockages, and valves not broken)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back