Solid fuel back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am hoping to fit a back boiler to my log burning Villager stove. I'm after any advice regarding the design of the rest of the system.

I am connecting it to a thermal heat store which in turn links to an airconditioning system and the domestic hot water.

The sort of things I would like to know are:

If the boiler is 10,000 BTU, 3Kw, what size radiator should be fitted as a heat dump?

The radiator/heat dump would work on convection but I think I will struggle to get the link to the heat store to do this. Does that matter?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If the boiler is 10,000 BTU, 3Kw, what size radiator should be fitted as a heat dump?

I have struggled to find a definitive answer to this and I have searched on Google a number of times. I have completed the Hetas three day course and although a heat sink rad was mentioned the size was not. I remember reading somewhere that 20% would do (unconfirmed) therefore you would need 0.6kw rad.

The radiator/heat dump would work on convection but I think I will struggle to get the link to the heat store to do this. Does that matter?

Ideally the store IS the heat sink (gravity). If the rad is the heat sink then you can pump a circuit (to the store) from this primary circuit.

Sponsored Links
If you want a rad as a heat sink on gravity. You will need 3/4 tappings

I have seen and fitted hundreds of heat leak rads over the years.
Not a single one has been 3/4".
The boiler instuctions are the best guide for sizing, C Y A.
Some recommend the first floor circuit to be gravity.(Grant Triple Pass) was one.
Others only require enough to dissipate the heat when slumbering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back