Roof types

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have searched through various subjects but cannot find a simple answer,
My question may be a stupid one to some of he experts out there but may help me in future,

What is the difference between a warm roof and a cold roof constuction, what is the definition of either, i have a slate pitched roof, which is this likely to be.

Sorry if this is silly question but if you dont ask you will never know.
Thanks Dunc

Sponsored Links
i. Until you add insulation and where, determines whether is cold or warm. So please expand the question.

i. Until you add insulation and where, determines whether is cold or warm. So please expand the question.
The reason i was asking was more out of curiosity than having an actual problem, at the moment the insulation is between the ceiling rafters, if i understand things correctly is this classed as a cold roof situation, where as a warm room has insulation on the roofing joist.

Answers in laymans terms please.

Sponsored Links
You are correct in assuming a warm roof describes an insulation scenario whereby the insulation sits wholly above the rafters.

Once you introduce the insulation below and/or between the rafters, it leaves the air within the roof space, able to meet cold surfaces.

Once this happens you then need to vent the air to the outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back