Halstead/wickes Heat 60 Wiring Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all i have often looked at posts on here and gained some info. Now i have a problem so it was time to register and pick your brains :D

I have recently moved house. The boiler was already fitted but i noticed straight away its wired wrong as the programmer does nothing and the boiler is always on. I have been controling it by the dial on the boiler.

The Boiler is a Wickes Heat 60. Made by Halstead boilers GC no/ 41-260-12

I have just got a drayton heating control pack with LWC1 Wiring center and i'm using a Mid positon valve. The diagram says the boiler requires 2core+Earth but says refer to boiler handbook for pump over run boilers? (not sure if mine is)

I thought i would check and my boiler has 5 wires going to it,
L3
N
E
L2
L1

Can anybody help with where these wires connect to in the wiring centre as i don't have the instructions for the boiler and its not listed on the Halstead site anymore!!

I hope this all makes sense :rolleyes: :confused:

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
I haven't got the MIs for your boiler to hand, but if you can tell me what bits are wired to what other bits (including colours) I may be able to help.
Turn power off to boiler/system first, and do NOT disconnect anything yet.

He has definatly bodged this system in himself :(

L1 Brown (Mains feed)
L2 Black (Goes to pump live)
E Earth
N Blue (Neutral)
L3 Black (with a bit of tape on it !) Goes to No 1 on Cylinder stat

If i remove the pump live (No13) and the cylinder stat call (No14) which is how it has been done then the programmer isn't really doing alot?
The way it is wired the heating comes on when the programmer is turned off :confused:

The whole system is a bodge, there is no vent pipe a gate valve in the feed pipe and it keeps heating/boiling the tank in the loft but i have a plumber coming to hopefully sort that :cry:

More info please, ie which wires from mid-pos valve go where, prog wires, stats' wires etc.

Sponsored Links
Here goes!!! He has used the wrong wire which is why i want to replace it all. The programmer at the minute is an LP241. I will be replacing with a tempus seven.

1st connector:
Red Pump
Black L2 Boiler

2nd connector:
Yellow 1 cylinder stat
Black L3 Boiler
Orange Mid pos valve

3rd connector:
Blue 2 cylinder stat
Black 1 programmer
Grey Mid pos valve

4th connector:
Red Common cylinder stat
yellow 4 programmer

5th connector:
white mid pos valve
red 3 room stat

6th connector:
Earth 2 programmer !!!!
Red live room stat !!!!

7 connector
Neutrals

8th connector
Live in
red L1 boiler
red L programmer

Here are some pics :D

Photo1385.jpg

Photo1386.jpg

Boiler connection
Photo1387.jpg

Room stat
Photo1384.jpg

Cylinder stat
Photo1388.jpg

Programmer
Photo1390.jpg

Photo1395.jpg

Earth wire No2 in programmer to live in room stat?
Photo1392.jpg

Wiring center
Photo1391.jpg

New programmer
Photo1394.jpg

New wiring cemter
Photo1393.jpg

Your problem looks to be the programmer wiring.
black to 1 - correct
Green & yellow to 2 - wrong, should go to 4
Yellow to 4 - wrong, should go to 3

the rest appears ok.

I have a Hero 50, looks virtually identical to that, (probably is in all but name). MI's to hand if needed. To answer your earlier point, yes it does have a pump overrun. Pump is supplied from L2 on boiler.

Your problem looks to be the programmer wiring.
black to 1 - correct
Green & yellow to 2 - wrong, should go to 4
Yellow to 4 - wrong, should go to 3

the rest appears ok.

Just sat and had a look through the wiring diagram and that makes sense :D

I have a Hero 50, looks virtually identical to that, (probably is in all but name). MI's to hand if needed. To answer your earlier point, yes it does have a pump overrun. Pump is supplied from L2 on boiler.

I will have a quick look and see if i can download them.

I'm presuming that the pump Live connects to L2 on the boiler rather than its normal positiom in the wiring center in my case No:13

Could you have a quick look and see if L3 is the call on the cylinder stat please? Thats how mine is wired at the moment.
Which would mean again it goes to L3 rather than its normal position in the wiring center No:14.

Thankyou :D

Just checked you're on a Y plan! L3 should connect to 1 on cyl stat, and orange from valve. L2 is pump live, I ran a cable to the boiler position as its remote from the cylinder cupboard, then joined it to the flex supplying the pump via the wiring centre.

If your stuck for MI's let me know. I'll try scanning them in ( :rolleyes: ) and email them if need be.

I think i have got it :confused: My boiler is in the kitchen so i will have to run a new wire. This is how i'm reading it.

L3 in the boiler goes to:
1 On cylinder stat
orange on mid pos valve

L2 in the boiler goes to:
Pump live

(edit) L1 is perminant live :eek: :eek:

I would send you my email but cant work out how to send it to you :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Put email in your profile, or email me, mine is in my profile.

Looks like you've sussed it, but if I explain how I wired mine, it may help.... :confused:

Boiler is in utility at rear of house, remote from cylinder cupboard. Programmer, pump, wiring centre etc in cylinder cupboard for ease of installation. I ran 2x 1.0mm cables from here to boiler, (labelled at each end for identification!).

1st is permanent 240v supply to boiler, to L1, N and E. (Obviously!)

2nd, (ignore earth as boiler is earthed via supply cable), red/brown is switched live to boiler, connected to L3 at boiler and 1 on cyl stat/orange on valve. Black/blue (with red sleeve to indicate a live!), is pump live, connected to L2 at boiler and live to pump.

I did wonder from your picture as I could only see one wire going into boiler. Note of caution though, the multiplug that connects the cables to the boiler I found rather poor quality, you can eat the terminal screws very easily if not careful.....

As an aside, apart from that I have found her to be a good little workhorse. (Touch wood!) Been happily humming away here for last few years, keeping me warm and in hot water. Only thing that does concern me slightly is the earth from the ignition electrode seems to arc across the PCB, (looks like its designed to), and this has slowly eroded the PCB at this point. However she's working ok, so will leave til necessary!

I think that covers everything!!!!!!! I will email you though just to let you know everything went ok(or not :LOL: ) and update the email address in my profile ( only cos i like my email address :p ) :D
Thanyou :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back