How to rewire a slide-type dimmer switch (France)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Feeling really silly, but I'm having problems with a floor lamp with a halogen bulb and slider-type dimmer switch.

Basically, I removed the wiring to the dimmer switch when the lamp stopped working, and didn't make a note of which wire went where... I know, I know.

I've established that it was a duff bulb - this is now replaced, and the lamp works fine as long as the dimmer is by-passed. But I have managed to blow the fuse in the socket circuit twice trying to re-wire the dimmer switch from memory.

Before my husband divorces me, is there anyone out there who can explain how the wiring in the switch should go.

Many thanks for any help you can give!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Breezer. Would the top be where the fuse and the slider are, or where the little LED indicator is? All the wires go into one side of the unit, with the earths at one end (I recognise the symbol for earth - the only bit I'm sure about!)

as i said it depends on the switch. a pic would be nice.
does it have any markings? (the terminals)

Sponsored Links
This is it - hope it's clear enough!
dimmer.jpg

it is usefull, but i can not read the writing on the end.

it looks like the "two terminals" are the lamp feed and the other 3 are from the plug, but which terminal is which i can not see :cry:

so long as you dont connect the live or neutral to the earth (which you knew not to do) i can not see a problem

Back